Thread: Protect trailer's underbelly???

Member Mini

Default Protect trailer's underbelly???

Last fall at my cottage area, I bought a used 2016 6x12 enclosed trailer and while laying on my back on large plastic sheet, I upgraded its under floor with deck boards (between existing steel supports) and rust painted its under belly steel parts. Then, solid colour wood stained its exposed OSB wood. Towed it home on an dry day and its been parked / sitting beside my house since. Yes. Parked all summer due to Covid-19 restrictions. Sad Face.

Since I want to keep this trailer 8+ more years then give to my son (for his future ownership), how do I further protect its underbelly even more? If wondering, I'm thinking of hand brushing Driveway Sealer on its previous rust painted & wood stained areas. re: Perhaps using: https://www.homehardware.ca/en/5l-ac...=1525535420669

Do you think this product is a good idea?

Or, should I use a different low cost product instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack99; 11-02-2020 at 10:56 PM.

just give it a coat of thompsons water seal. did the floor in my trailer over 4 years ago and it still looks great even with the carbides running over it and i have not done another application ever. i also get the frame/metal undercoated every year as well as that is what failed on my last trailer.
    sleds
    540cc workhorse (vk 540)
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of dependability (11 apex xtx)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence ( 16 apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Junior Member Mini

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

It's not a crazy idea. I work in heavy highway road construction and I actually use the tack oil that we spray on the road between lifts of asphalt as a rustproofer on my vehicles undercarriage. I can't say that what you buy in the store is as good as what we use though. Another option is truck bed coating, it holds up better to direct sunlight than traditional undercoatings that you buy in the spray cans which I've never had good luck with.

Member Mini

Thanks for your reply hdog3385.

I've been doing lots of different internet searches and discovering driveway sealer / coating under trailers is common usage. Bed Liner is stupidly over priced per gallon in my north region. I can get driveway sealer at Home Hardware for $14 / 5 Ls. If wondering, I would brush it on - to push liquid materials into cracks / past the surface dust layer. Even with paint, I don't have good luck with spray can method - that only lays the liquid on the dust surface.

Thanks for your reply and also confirming my findings...