Protect trailer's underbelly???

Jack99

Last fall at my cottage area, I bought a used 2016 6x12 enclosed trailer and while laying on my back on large plastic sheet, I upgraded its under floor with deck boards (between existing steel supports) and rust painted its under belly steel parts. Then, solid colour wood stained its exposed OSB wood. Towed it home on an dry day and its been parked / sitting beside my house since. Yes. Parked all summer due to Covid-19 restrictions. Sad Face.

Since I want to keep this trailer 8+ more years then give to my son (for his future ownership), how do I further protect its underbelly even more?

If wondering, I'm thinking of hand brushing Driveway Sealer on its previous rust painted & wood stained areas. re: Perhaps using: https://www.homehardware.ca/en/5l-a...060680?page=category page#ccode=1525535420669

Do you think this product is a good idea?

Or, should I use a different low cost product instead?

Attachments

• 20190930_172026_resized.jpg
    20190930_172026_resized.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190930_172038_resized.jpg
    20190930_172038_resized.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190930_172032_resized.jpg
    20190930_172032_resized.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

just give it a coat of thompsons water seal. did the floor in my trailer over 4 years ago and it still looks great even with the carbides running over it and i have not done another application ever. i also get the frame/metal undercoated every year as well as that is what failed on my last trailer.

It's not a crazy idea. I work in heavy highway road construction and I actually use the tack oil that we spray on the road between lifts of asphalt as a rustproofer on my vehicles undercarriage. I can't say that what you buy in the store is as good as what we use though. Another option is truck bed coating, it holds up better to direct sunlight than traditional undercoatings that you buy in the spray cans which I've never had good luck with.

Thanks for your reply hdog3385.

I've been doing lots of different internet searches and discovering driveway sealer / coating under trailers is common usage. Bed Liner is stupidly over priced per gallon in my north region. I can get driveway sealer at Home Hardware for $14 / 5 Ls. If wondering, I would brush it on - to push liquid materials into cracks / past the surface dust layer. Even with paint, I don't have good luck with spray can method - that only lays the liquid on the dust surface.

Thanks for your reply and also confirming my findings...

Tonight at 45 minutes before sunset, I took a 2" paint brush, positioned a drop sheet, crawled under my enclosed trailer's under belly and manually applied driveway sealer. While brushing on (up side down) I pushed liquid into the corner cracks / gaps as well. It applied like liquid tar and stuck to the existing wood stained surface very easy. I will let drive until morning and most likely, apply a 2nd coat. Next week, I will raise the front of trailer and do same from its axle to its front area. So far, I'm very pleased with its low cost, easy application process and its great looks (although it looks like typical black under coating). Will keep you posted on my progress (and will post final pics) when done.....

To confirm, product I'm using is: https://weekshomehardware.ca/p/black-gold-5l-acrylic-driveway-sealer-2060680

Last edited:
This morning I applied a 2nd coating to its underbelly rear area. Using 2" paint brush (from dollar store), also pushed the liquid deep into its corner cracks as well. Area that a spray gun method cannot do. It looks great with a 2nd coat. Also applied 1st coat to small area of its front section. Will continue its front area during next 5-7 days.... So far, all is looking great. And, its low DIY cost.. Smile.

Last edited:
Since my above update, I completed 2nd coat. And, applied 3rd coat behind the wheels area - where more crud splashes upwards. All is looking great. And best of all, it was very low DIY cost. re: Bought 5L for $15 (including taxes) and only used 4 Ls of it - using a 2" dollar store paint brush.

Hope this helps many others...

Attachments

• Finish-1.jpg
    Finish-1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 18
  • Finish-2.jpg
    Finish-2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 20
  • Finish-3.jpg
    Finish-3.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Finish-4.jpg
    Finish-4.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Under belly final coating.JPG
    Under belly final coating.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The underside of my trailer gets a coat of bar and chain oil every year. It will never rust if coated in oil, and if there is rust, the oil will prevent it from getting worse.

Back