Hyd Brake conversion for Vmax 500 600 Vmax-4

Sounds great....wasnt able to see pictures as my lazy fingers dont want to set up an account on VMAX4 only to look at said pics. With the popularity of the 94-96 vmax 500/600 (they are literally everwhere in N.Mi) seems like it would have a market.

This is a really cool bracket-just like the sled came with a OEM HYD brake. I have had Opsled install one on my 93 V4 and my sons 95 600. Here's a picture installed on my 600 and the bracket and hardware.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 29
Got some testing done yesterday. Works GREAT!!

I'm using SRX trailing arm style brake components and a custom waterjetted bracket to mount the HYD caliper with a mod to the OEM mechanical brake that turns it into the parking brake. I designed it to work on both Vmax 500/600 TSS sleds and 92-96 Vmax-4's. HYD caliper mounts either front or rear of the OEM mechanical depending on preference. The bracket is a mirror of itself and does both jobs. Just flip it over for front or rear. Front mount is easier to bleed but has clearance issues with stock and some aftermarket exhaust. Rear needs to be bled in hand while flipped to put bleeders up but clears everything. Switches on master for hi/lo beam and brake are plug and play. Easy install and it sure is nice to have that positive HYD feel to the brakes.

Anywho, some pics.

92 Vmax-4 with SRX master. (500/600 Max is the same)

Steves92-Vmax-4ReadytoRock001.jpg

Closer look.

Steves92-Vmax-4ReadytoRock002.jpg

92-4 with front mount and PSI quads. (stock can is real close to hitting caliper in this configuration, rear mount is no issue)

Steves92-Vmax-4ReadytoRock007.jpg

Closer look.

final2008.jpg

Vmax 600 with GYT twins in rear mount configuration.

final2004.jpg

There is enough braking power to stop the sled now (lol).

Nice to have a project work out sometimes.

opsled

Lucky7 said:
WIll it fit an Exciter chaincase?? If so how much?

Thanks, John

No it won't. 92 to 96 Vmax 500, 600, 750, 800 only.

I was thinking about working one up fo the Exciters though if there was interest.

opsled

Exciter

opsled said:
I was thinking about working one up fo the Exciter's though if there was interest.

/ opsled
;)! Sign me up for one !

It would be very nice if the bracket would fit the best hydraulic snowmobile brake caliper there is...
...The Wilwood brake caliper that comes on Arctic Cat ( 1993~2006 ) sleds.

No need for a mechanical parking brake.

:2strokes:

Last edited:
I had to take 12 of these Vmax brackets in order to get a waterjetting price per unit that was feasable. I built the prototype by hand. It worked fine but was labor intensive and I needed at least four of them for our sleds and others had also expressed interest. I redesigned it 5 times to get what you see in the pics. Clearance issues and mounting hole placement are critical to making it fit and work. Once done and programed the waterjet can reproduce perfectly every time. And, the finished product looks MUCH better. Even though these are made out of 6061-T6 extruded aluminum they look like they were cast in the same way as the original Yamaha brake/chaincase. I liked that.

I have seven left here in the shop but 4 of those are spoken for so I have three that are available. Cost is $130 for just the bracket, hardware to mount it and convert the original brake to a parking brake. The rest of the stuff (master, caliper, rotor, hose, etc) I have to buy off of ebay or other sources. The prices on those parts can vary depending on how much the seller wants for them. These parts are expensive new but they don't wear out so good used can be had fairly cheap. I have been supplying complete kits to some and some just want the bracket/hardware as they have the other parts needed.

If someone wants one of these Vmax kits send me a pm or you can call me at 262-716-3368.

By the looks of it I should go find an Exciter and come up with a version for them too. The cost for them would likely be about the same as it's not so much the material needed but the process of making them. That should be similar.

Thanks for the coments,

Phil (opsled

We got a little vid done. (92 Vmax-4, front mount kit) It was a little gray out and had warmed a bit so what little snow we have was loose. No frost inderneath either so there was not much bite to be had. In the begining while up on the stand I was reving and brakeing. The mount works well and holds everything steady. Traction being low didn't get a real feel for any increase in stopping power but it will lock up the track with ease. Should have done it in the AM while things were hard and had bite. Would have been more fun cuz this ol pig still wants to run..

I hope the fugly S.O.B. in the blue jacket doesn't make anyone ill but I had to work with the available cast. (lol)

opsled

PS, Click on pic for vid.

Wilwood brake caliper

Genuine Wilwood dual caliper brake caliper, used on Arctic Cat snowmobiles.
Piston diameter is 1 3/4” with 3 3/4” centers on mounting holes.

opsled said:
The price for the V-Max hydraulic brake conversion bracket is $ 130 / each.

The price for an Exciter hydraulic brake conversion bracket would likely be about the same as it's not so much the material needed but the process of making them.
That should be similar.
Oops, that was a pretty juicy price !

The brake disc is on the inside of the chain case on the Exciter's compared to the outside on the V-Max sleds.

Lasse said:
Oops, that was a pretty juicy price !

The brake disc is on the inside of the chain case on the Exciter's compared to the outside on the V-Max sleds.

Ya I know. Will take a completely different arrangement for sure.

I'll look ito it.

opsled

talked with Opsled the other day about the exciter/phazer hydro set up ......i will be working on this in the next few weeks for my phazer oval sled i have a good idea but need to get working on it
races are coming up ...............as far as teh older sleds i have hydro on my gpx oval sleds that was real easy about 30 min and drill and tap one hole

i also have access to a bender hydro kit that uses wilwood master and kelsey hayes (polaris) caliper ..........might have to go take a peak at that as well looking to make it a bolt on and look factory like op's set up when it comes to brakes no short cuts can be taken and Opsled has taken his time and alot of thought over the last few years to get this bolt on kit to work and look factory

Yamaha Nutz said:
I talked with Opsled the other day about the Exciter/Phazer hydro set up...
I will be working on this in the next few weeks for my Phazer oval sled.
I have a good idea but need to get working on it.
I'm looking to make it a bolt on and look factory like Opsled's set up.
When it comes to brakes no short cuts can be taken and Opsled has taken his time and alot of thought to get this bolt on kit to work and look factory
;)! Sounds good !

The Exciter-I/II and Phazer-I/II could probably use the same brake conversion bracket.
This would allow a much larger market for this modification.

OK, down to four brackets in the shop. One (maybe two) are spoken for but if they don't make up their mind soon they can go too.

We installed three Thursday night on drag sleds that were needed because of a new rule requirement to race the class they were in so guys that are racing these things may want to check any new requirements. Did a Vmax 600 Improved and two Vmax-4 700 (sleeved down) sleds. One Improved and one Pro Stock

I can have more done once these are gone but won't lay out the $ for more without solid commitments. I have one complete kit ready to ship that is one of the spoken for ones but used up almost everything else last night. I do have more coming.

Pic is of a complete kit.

Bracket and hardware is $130 + shipping.

Complete kit for Vmax-4 is $280 + shipping.

Complete kit 500/600 Vmax is more because they need an extra bracket and a rotor mod or different HYD brake pads to work with the stock rotor. Adds another $50 or so depending on which way a guy wants to go.

Will sell just the bracket and hardware if you don't need the rest.

PM with any Q's or call 262-716-3368

Thanks, Phil (opsled)

Manatowoc001.jpg

Last edited:

Back