Reed notch VS spacers...

Terrence R

Sorry if this has been brought up before. But I'm having a hard time finding the benifits of each mod. Some say they do the same thing. Some say that the spacers are better because of the extra air space. The notch is free, so I can see why it might be a better choice. I looked on the tech page to see how it was done. Just looks like the centre of the top stoper is slightly notched. Is that all there is to it? How close does it have to be to those measurements so no problems occure? Like, not taking enough off? Or taking too much off? Would it just be best to buy the spacers and not worry about a stoper breaking?

I would say if you are not comfortable doing the notching just do the spacers and be safe. less to chance of something going wrong.

I am making myself a set of spacers, just because I am worried about the cage breaking. So spacers it is.

roudyroy1 said:
I am making myself a set of spacers, just because I am worried about the cage breaking. So spacers it is.

Spacers certainly sound safer. It would be some disappointing to notch the stoppers and have them break and completely distroy some cylinders. :brr

Would my local dealer be able to get these spacers? Are they OEM? Also, would I need to buy gaskets for each side of the spacers?

Last edited:
they are after market. i am making some right now, so i will need to buy 3 more gaskets. if you buy a kit they come with gaskets as i have herd.

If you'd do the notch in the reed stops I'd go with the stainless stoppers, they seem to be much stronger than the originals that came in the sled. I really wouldn't worry about the stainless ones breaking, mine are holding up great after 3 years of riding, my originals were cracked in many places and they didn't even have the notches. Also....I did notice an improvement in throttle response by doing the notches.

i haven't done this before, but it makes sense that you need to or there would be metal on metal on 1 side.

Mine are 6.5mm, with gaskets probably amounts to 6.8mm. I don't think that's enough to cause any problems, guess we will find out!

Hammer Down said:
How thick are these spacers? Wouldn't this push the airbox back and create mounting issues.?

There is some flexibility with the boots on the airbox side, the throats on the airbox that the boots clamp around are big enough that the carbs can sit inside them with the boots on and everything. I noticed a little difference when I put in my vForce reeds and the spacers that came with them. You normally have to go in through the air box to massage the boots over the carbs anyways.

any one have a good way of cutting the center out of the spacers? my thoughts are jig saw or dremel with cut off wheel

Back