MM Need help!!!!!

Kodman

i have a 2001 yamaha mountian max and i have been struggling with this thing for a while now, so the symptoms are when it idels it idles really rough kinda like it has lost 1 cylinder, and then in the midrange it runs good, but when i get on it, it bogs and acts like it lost a cylinder again, and there is alot of exhaust popping and sputtering and just sounds like crap and when i took it to the mountians it got so bad i hat to stop and wait alittle while to even get it to move again. so hes what i have done so far, i rebuilt both clutches, new fuel filter, new plugs, new ignition coils, new belt, and i completly cleaned out my carbs, the only things i could think it might be are mabey the stator? the oil pump? or maybe the altitude adjuster that was aftermarket put on there, any help would be greatly appriciated cause i am beating my head agianst a wall

I had one that was messed up once had a rock down in needle and seat I missed wouldn't let enough fuel in fast enough

I am no expert, but I have been working on my machines for a while. It sounds like jetting. Have you looked at the set up sheet/manual for your altitude. If you have an altitude compensator, it still has to be jetted in the correct range to start with. My 2

If it was oil pump, it would foul plugs like mad, and smoke like chimney. Stator is a possibility, maybe. see id you can look thru the keyway, and see alot, alot of rust. run some fine sandpaper over the outside if is is rusty.

Last edited:
Have you tested the stator? Very easy to do with an ohmeter. Or buy or borrow a known good stator and swap it. I would do as much electric testing as possible first though.

Back