bought my second viper

jthemmer

So first off I think I have seen this one before and was curious if its anyone's old sled on here. Other than that I currently have a piped 121 viper and wanted one for wyoming. So I bought this one here. Im kind of curious though, how can I tell if its a true mountain viper? Could this just be a viper that was streched?

upload an image
adult picture hosting

free picture upload

Okay yeah i wondered about that. Is there any way to tell if its a quality job or not? I dont see anything obvious. Looks good to me. I paid $1300 for it. I just want to make it a good sled for wyoming so ill have to check gearing and clutching i assume.

Thanks! Yeah i search craigslist heavily during the summer. My 121" i got for 1200 three years ago. Its all about buying during the summer. Just got my bender triples so the build will start on this one soon.

Im pretty sure. I never had any powder bog issues the previous times that i had gone to wyoming. I think i plugged some vents though if i remember right on my other viper.

betheviper I think you helped me with info on my piped 121. That thing is great and thats what I used in wyoming for two previous trips. I actually made it a lot of places I probably shouldn't have but had several friends with me in case I got stuck. So I am definitely open to any opinions on how I can make this a good mountain sled for the snowy range. I go to albany lodge, centennial area. Do you guys think I should leave it stock and then figure out what all has been done so I can make sure this thing floats in the deep snow? I own the pipes right now but will sell them if its smarter to keep it stock.

Well I have decided what I am going to do. I plan to sell my 121 viper now since I really do not need two sleds. I can do exactly what I did with the 121 before by swapping my 2 clutches and 2 sets of carbs based on where I am taking it. So I am going to revert the 121 back to stock and put the slp's on my mountain viper and sell the benders.

Those rail extensions are mighty long. if you ride real aggressively watch out for them bending. The tracksusa rails are a stronger and better design because they bolt into the bottom of the rail in the groove and also extend your hyfax all the way back to the axle. Skids that have been stretched that much leave a lot on the table performance wise. Yes you increase the footprint but the geometry just isn't right. If you really like the sled keep an eye out for a viper mtn skid or an aftermarket skid/other brand skid for a 144" sled.

I see viper mtn skids on ebay occasionally. Would it be a straight forward swap and well worth it? I have never messed with that before. I honestly wanted a mountain version and didnt look it over well when i bought it. It was dark too. Idk if it would be better to look for a new skid or look for a mountain viper or mountain max sled to buy.

To put in a 144 viper mtn skid you will need to relocate your center and rear suspension mounts as well as install drop brackets. If your going to go that far it's easy to make the argument to find a different skid from a different brand mtn sled that will be lighter and perform better.

Back