New to me toy.

I'm always learning new things. I recently read if you run your sled without a battery you need to add a condenser into the electrical systeme as to absorb the electrical peaks. Good to know. Just happen to have a practicaly new, Gel pack Snowmobile battery laying around . So installed the tray and battery. Then I figured if I'm going to add weight mite as well have electric start. My starter wasn't working properly so I ripped it apart. It was very dirty and dry internally. So cleaned it thoroughly, and lubricated everything with full synthetic grease. Reassembled, verified continuity, and then installed in the sled. What a Pain! I did a test run before installation and it worked perfectly. Sadly after the install it functions intermidly. Sometimes perfect , and other times it free spins. Can't win them all I guess. When it does engage the sled starts and idles perfect and all my gauges work now. Speedo, tack, and fuel gauge so that's positive.
We got lots of snow last night, so the temptation to ride around the block was strong, but I decided to be patient.

Attachments

• DSC_1339.jpg
    DSC_1339.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1340.jpg
    DSC_1340.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1337.jpg
    DSC_1337.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Sadly after the install it functions intermidly.

I've had similar problem with an electric starter on a dirt bike. After new brushes and battery, it was better, but not 100%. Upon a recommendation from the internet, I installed a separate ground wire from the starter mount back to the battery and it solved my problem.

Well after an entire day of fighting the temptation. I see my little brother late this afternoon. He's like " Did you go for a ride yet? " I said " No, I'm trying to be patient. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else riding a sled around town yet."
He answers " What are you waiting for! It's the perfect conditions to. Your not going to hurt it! "

So after a little brotherly motivation I went out for a small 2 km ride around my little isolated town. Roads were snow on ice so I couldn't really accelerate to quick without spinning like crazy. My fastest was under 50km/h. Still fun. Sled ran pritty good. My headlight and dash alumination flickered on and off alot. So I need to check that. Otherwise it ran fine. No weird noises, and very smooth. The smell of 2 stroke is fantastic.

I even got flagged down and lined up by a little old lady walking her dog!
You know your still young at heart when the older generations give you shit for playing!
Well that's my official first ride of the year.

Last edited:
I'm diagnosing my electrical issue. Luckily I know enough about basic electrics and multimeters to do alot of my own trouble shooting.
But an acurate schematic is very important for the process . I ve been using this one, from the Clymer book. Is it an accurate representation of our Yamaha's electrical? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_1342.jpg
    DSC_1342.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1344.jpg
    DSC_1344.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Don't know yet. Yesterday I veryfied continuity starting from the blue wire connecter witch plugs into a yellow mag wire. All the way to the tachometer and headlight and back to ground. So the circuits show complete right now . When I started it two days ago using the pullcord. It's started easily and idles well. But the tack, headlight, and dash alumination flickered alot.

My electric start electrically works and tested perfect, but the one way clutch doesn't lock up so it doesn't turn the engine over. It's basically worthless.

On another note, this evening a drained the gas tank dry so as to change the very old fuel filter. Lots of crude at the bottom of a 15 year old gas tank.

Last edited:
Thanks. I ve got a few more troubleshooting ideas to try but it's nice to have more.

Got the fuel filter out too! Tried to find a similar replacement locally. No luck. I'll try the city this weekend or just order it locally. Happy I'm doing it as it was do for a fresh one!

Attachments

• DSC_1369.jpg
    DSC_1369.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Out of restlessness I drove 230km round trip for a new 9$ yamaha fuel filter.All closer suppliers were out of stock and wouldn't receive till Tuesday. My work schedule only permits me to drive out next Saturday. So road trip it was.

Drained the tank bone dry. Then vacuum most of the crap at the bottom, replaced the filter then added 25L of fresh 91 octane gas.

Ran her in the garage. Started first pull. Let her warm up for 4 min on idle. Ran her to 4500 rpms @ 50 km / h for a minute. As it warmed up and fresher gas got to the carbs it smoothed the engine threw out the rpm range. Kwik shots to 7500 rpms were a bit snappier. Ran better then when I drove it last weekend.

The electrical problem is gone. Everything works fine now witch is unsettling as I didn't find the problem. No smoking gun. I just unplugged a bunch of connectors checked for continuity and replugged. I did recharge the battery but it was still at 80% charged so the smart charger only needed 10 min to top her up.
Starter clutch is screwed so I'll be ripping the starter out again

Attachments

• DSC_1374.jpg
    DSC_1374.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Let it snow.

Happy snowmobiling season everyone. Got 10 inches snow lastnight !

Attachments

• DSC_1458.jpg
    DSC_1458.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1457.jpg
    DSC_1457.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Manage to rack up 15 km of riding this morning. Runs perfect. New track hooks way better. The only issue is my tale light has a loose wire. When I wiggle the wires it comes on but won't stay on all the time. Could certainly be worse!

Attachments

• DSC_1463.jpg
    DSC_1463.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Just back home from another 20km trip. Except this time a got alot of WOT time. Lots of long stretchs. High speed corners etc...So much fun! I was accompanied by my buddy with his new Tundra. He's done a great job of grooming our trails in the last 24hrs. Thanks Brian.

Observations. I'm over reving to 9000 rpms. I adjusted by giving it less then full throttle and it would maintain 8300. I'll start with a new belt as I don't know how old or the mileage of the one I'm using. It still measures in spec though.
Also fixed my tale light. I found the plug was loose. Easy fix there. I smell like two stroke. Bye for now.

Last edited:
Nice to see other Ontarians on here.

Drove 120km and pick up a new OEM Yamaha drive belt today. 82$ plus tax. I was surprised it wasn't more.
Anyways.Got back home, installed it, adjusted my track real quick and off I went for a ride!
All can say is Wow! With a new Cobra track, you need a new belt. Clutch engagement is much more responsive. I clearly wasn't getting all the power down to the track. But now with a new belt, working in harmony with a new aggressive track it just flat out Ripps! The power and the resulting acceleration are so much better.
But, I'm still over reving to 8800 rpms. I throttled into it with consideration for the new belt. Oh well. More tuning and learning.

Last edited:
Yup that's further north than me. I just got the carbs in mine cleaned out and the skid rebuilt and a new ripsaw2 track put on, now just awaiting the snow.
Enjoy your riding for me too until we get snow down here.
Cheers

So after 135 km of enjoyment. The warmer, rainy weather has inspired me to take my clutchs out, open them up and really start learning what needs to be done to bring down my rpms by atleast 500 rpm at WOT. I'm starting to understand the concepts and lingo. (I think). I'm still going to need some guidance on this. Sometimes the search function on this site works well, other times it sucks.It won't let me search!
So the adventure begins. Wish me luck.
Many rooky questions to come.

Last edited:
Instead of ripping my clutchs out I decided to hit the fresh 5in of snow and enjoy my sled instead of working on it.I ve gotten really good at throttling my sled to maintain 8500rpm Rev so I easily compensate for that. For now anyways. But what I want to discuss is the difference between old stock and studded track to a new 1.35 in Cobra track. ( 136" long btw )

So finding ANY traction is good. My stock track was depressing. You have access to all this power and it ain't worth nothing except for very specific and rare trail situations and that is mainly because of studs.

With the Cobra and plastic 5.5" skies, my heavy sled rides on top of 15"of fresh fluffy snow. I can approach reasonably steep snowy hills, and as long as I have some momentum complimented by throttle I'll clim it. Snow covered trails I can accelerate at will. Where before I would just spin. Packed trails I alway hook up now. It's certainly has limits, but I feel so much more confidence in my ability to keep moving and build momentum. I've been lucky to experience the before and after. I'm happy with my track choice.

Attachments

• DSC_0885.jpg
    DSC_0885.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1185.jpg
    DSC_1185.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0988.jpg
    DSC_0988.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0987.jpg
    DSC_0987.jpg