Phazer piston differences... ?

Lasse

:) Hi !

I happened to discover that there are two different pistons for the 485 cc FC Phazer engine.
What is it that distinguishes them in detail ? :confused:
Are they interchangeable ? :confused:

All sleds with TSS-chassi ( 1984 - 1999 ) , Yamaha part # 8V0-11631-00-00
All sleds with Pro Action chassi ( 1999 - 2004 ) , Yamaha part # 8DJ-11631-00-00

Even Wiseco have different part numbers...
480 kolvar.jpg

Last edited:
never really compared the 2 side by side, just took it for what its worth based on the engine changes for the 99-01 pz.

when you factor in the engine was completely changed in 99 including new crankcases to fit the new chassis, new crankshaft, new cylinders, and the oil pump relocated, different cylinder port timing, one can only reason that the pistons would have been changed as well.

if the opportunity arises in the future to where i can compare the 2, i will be sure and relay what i found.

Never really compared the 2 side by side.

The 485 engine was completely changed for the Pro Action chassi.
Including new crankcases to fit the new chassis, new crankshaft, new cylinders, and the oil pump relocated, different cylinder port timing,
one can only reason that the pistons would have been changed as well.

if the opportunity arises in the future to where I can compare the 2,
I will be sure and relay what I found.
Thanx for your input Snowdad4

Tell some more about that different cylinder port timing thing !

The odd thing is that when you look att some other aftermarket pistons makers
they use the same part # for the "New" 485 pistons as well as the "Old" 485 pistons #$%&*

Kimpex kolv.jpg

Pro x.jpg

Last edited:
I cant say for sure, but since some aftermarket suppliers list the same piston, Im going to guess the only difference is in the ring locating pins. I know this is the case with the Exciter and Exciter SX pistons. The aftermarket companies offer one piston for all years yet yamaha has 3 different pistons and part numbers, and the only difference is the position of the locating pins.

:) Hi !

I happened to discover that there are two different pistons for the 485 cc FC Phazer engine.
What is it that distinguishes them in detail ? :confused:
Are they interchangeable ? :confused:

All sleds with TSS-chassi ( 1984 - 1999 ) , Yamaha part # 8V0-11631-00-00
All sleds with Pro Action chassi ( 1999 - 2004 ) , Yamaha part # 8DJ-11631-00-00

Even Wiseco have different part numbers...
View attachment 59052
Old thread but I'd like to add that the 8V0 and 8DJ pistons seem to be interchangeable.

Here I am comparing an 8V0-11631-00-96 (stock 72.00mm piston) to a new 8DJ-11635-00 (72.25mm piston). They look completely the same and I also noticed that the 8DJ piston still got the "8V000" markings inside it, just like on the 8V0 pistons. The pins holding the piston rings in place are also the same distance apart.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
I can also add that I have the 8DJ pistons installed in my 1989 Phazer right now and works perfectly.

Back