New to 2-stroke yamahas..which sled do I have?

Pikok Junior

I picked up some kind of yamaha triple for $250 last night. It was sold to me as a mountain max 700. I am unsure of the year. My confusion comes from a few different things. The VIN says it is a 2001 mountain max 600, but it has a yamaha triple cylinder engine with red cylinder heads. The coils are mounted on the air box which tells me it's a pre-2000 yamaha..? It has exhaust valves that aren't connected to anything on the motor. From what I understand, the srx triples only have exhaust valves..? It has a 141" track and pro action skid. Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to figure out model and year I have because it needs a new wiring harness and a few other things.

Last edited:

I think you've definitly got a srx that somebody has put a redhead into...I'm not too sure though.

Last edited:
Man that's one backyard special for sure. 01 MM 600 or 700 tunnel, trailing arms off a 99 model sx, viper? skis?
00-02 srx exhaust valve motor, that doesn't go with a redhead triple. The skis are different too. Hood off a 02 or 03 sx 600. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah the front end was an srx at some point.

Just looks to me like an 2000 600 MM. Except the blue should be red and or black and not sure why the head says 700. Hopefully they are not running a 700 head on a 600. Also not too sure why the power valves are there though................SRXtreme

Thanks for all the input! I knew it wasn't just one machine based off of the VIN stuff I found. I don't think there is anywhere on that motor to put those "power valves" onto, I'm not quite sure why they're even on the machine. It has compression so that's a plus.
I guess my next question is which wire harness should I buy? Would a harness out of like a '97 mountain max 700 work since that's kind of the motor that's in it? I notice the coolant bottle was missing a few hoses. Any guidance on that? I could always custom route those. I'm not sure on which machine within that machine to buy parts for…if that makes sense.

Real triples in decent shape are selling for around $2500 around here, so I couldn't pass up this opportunity! Especially since they just aren't around anymore. I think there are only 3 or 4 in town that work.

It doesn't run at the moment. The wires on the main harness are cut up and it doesn't have a key.

Thanks for all the input! I knew it wasn't just one machine based off of the VIN stuff I found. I don't think there is anywhere on that motor to put those "power valves" onto, I'm not quite sure why they're even on the machine. It has compression so that's a plus.
I guess my next question is which wire harness should I buy? Would a harness out of like a '97 mountain max 700 work since that's kind of the motor that's in it? I notice the coolant bottle was missing a few hoses. Any guidance on that? I could always custom route those. I'm not sure on which machine within that machine to buy parts for…if that makes sense.

Real triples in decent shape are selling for around $2500 around here, so I couldn't pass up this opportunity! Especially since they just aren't around anymore. I think there are only 3 or 4 in town that work.

It doesn't run at the moment. The wires on the main harness are cut up and it doesn't have a key.

Just remove the coolant bottle, it is not required. Same with the power valve ***'y. The wiring looks like a MM. You don't need a key, just unplug the harness from the key switch. It will run that way. You could get a new harness from any 6/700 red head Yamaha, I am pretty sure they are all the same. Or just get a switch and repair that harness.........................SRXtreme

With all that silt on the inside of the pans and the rust, it looks like it may have been "wet" for a while. Like at the bottom or a lake, wet... Did the seller give you any back story?

I think your probably better off just parting it out, you'll make you money back + lots of money. I think it will cost you lots of money and probably quite the headache trying to get it running and repair it. Just my opinion though.

The motor is a 98+ just because of the coolant return for the carb heat on the head. The big difference is 2000 and up with the dual headlight bulbs and a timed ignition. Before that all 3 plugs would fire at 120 degree intervals. The new ignition fires each cylinder at tdc only. It produces a hotter spark in the cylinder that actually needs to fire. By the looks of that thing it's tough to say what's actually in it. I'd start by pulling the motor, you need to anyways to swap the harness but that thing needs a thorough cleaning before anything.

The seller didn't know much about it. He just knew that it was a yamaha and had a triple in it. It probably sit in the back of someone's yard uncovered in a puddle. There's a lot of mud around here. Being 19, I didn't get to experience the triple crave. I figured it was at least worth a shot. I'll play around with it tonight and see where it'll take me.

If you think this is bad, you should see the Honda Big Red someone gave me a few weeks ago. That machine is the definition of frankestein. It has rancher 420 rear fenders, a yamaha three wheeler seat, and pro tapre handle bars. The plastics are held together with shoe laces!

Last edited:
I'm 23 and have rode Lots of triples and Yamaha is by far the best triple you can get there basically bullet proof. Other triples not so much.

Back