SRX Dead Middle Cylinder.

1_Quick_SRX700

Good evening tech Gods!

I'll try to be as brief as possible :) I have a 1998 SRX 700 with 3400 miles on it. I am original owner. When I first bought it, I had a local performance shop do a couple things to it: Bender Roller Rooster Secondary, Stinger Can, adjustable transfer rods and remote carb adjusters. The sled always ran great except it was tempermental with fouling plugs at startup.

Anyhow...the sled sat in garage at cabin, gas siphoned out, washed and track elevated. It sat in garage for 5 years, not started in all that time (Long story) Well, I decided to bring it home and get it ready for this season. So far this is what I've done to it: #1.pulled airbox and carbs, washed and cleaned them. #2 Removed primary and secondary clutch, cleaned both. #3 drained and replaced chain case oil. #4 greased bearings on jackshaft and speedo. #5 removed all the injector oil with suction gun and replaced with fresh AMS Interceptor #6 Removed and replaced old coolant #7 greased all the zerk fittings and steering components #8 New plugs BR9ES (I just haven't bought any BR9ECS yet...my MXZ takes the 9ES so I have a bunch laying around) and #9 Cleaned Power Valves.

It fires right up but the middle cylinder isn't working! It's getting spark on all 3 cylinders but I can't get the middle one to fire! I've pulled the carbs off 3 times now and cleaned the jets, slides etc with carb cleaner and the compressor air gun. I'm stumped! Any ideas?

For the heck of it, I pulled off the blue cylinder head covers and from what I can see, the cylinder walls and top of pistons look great! The only thing I noticed was one of the orange gaskets under the head cover closest to the clutch was broken in 2. Granted, to really see how everything looks, I have to dig deeper into the motor. I'm replacing the gaskets and I'm also thinking of replacing all the piston rings since I've gone this far.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem with that middle cylinder not firing????

Anything else I should do such as replace oil seal, crank bearings etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had the same problem on my buddy's xcr the problem was the plug it had spark out of the motor but when screwed in it was miss firing and wouldn't run that cylinder.

New rings gaskets and plugs and you should be good to go..

two things for starters , you said there is spark. take a compression test on that hole, also get a ohms tester and check out spec from that coil. also. look deeper into your carbs. i mean deep. pull your needle and seats and check o-ring and screen. 3:16x (yammie tony)

I forgot to mention, I did the compression test the other day. 130 on each cylinder. I'll check everything out you guys mentioned.

THANKS!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What do the magnets on the flywheel look like. They could be rusted after sitting so long. The magnet that was up when sitting could be worse than the other two. It fires all three at one time so you would see spark it just might not be when the middle cylinder is supposed to fire. Just a possibility to consider.

two things for starters , you said there is spark. take a compression test on that hole, also get a ohms tester and check out spec from that coil. also. look deeper into your carbs. i mean deep. pull your needle and seats and check o-ring and screen. 3:16x (yammie tony)

X2... an those pesky little pilot holes in the carbs

Back