Sx viper shop manual for rebuild

Sxviperrules99

I'm going to be tearing apart the top end on my viper in a couple weeks and inspecting and replacing some parts in it. What I am wondering is if it's ok to just re ring my pistons if they are in spec instead of spending $400 on new ones. I'm assuming I should replace at least the head and base gaskets? The sled only has 3000 miles on it.

My second question is if anyone has a shop manual for a 02 viper that they could email me @jacobaarnold@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

No need for new pistons if in spec, rings just fine. Now just my 2 cents but reusing the gaskets is fine also. Just redid top end on viper last year and kept pistons (in spec) just re-ringed and copper spray on gaskets and reuse.

No need for new pistons if in spec, rings just fine. Now just my 2 cents but reusing the gaskets is fine also. Just redid top end on viper last year and kept pistons (in spec) just re-ringed and copper spray on gaskets and reuse.

Thanks alot for the reply! A fellow ty member just emailed me a copy of the manual for the sled and I have yet to go through it but what specs should I be checking about the pistons?? I'm guessing that I'd be looking for play in bearings, etc. But what else??
Thanks,
Jake

You'll need to check for play in the bearings yes. Some side to side play is normal but make sure the rod bearings are tight going up and down...know what I'm sayin?

Youll find piston to cylinder wall clearance specs in your manual. Its .003" with a MAX of .010" measure 10mm up from skirt.

It will also tell you the MAX wear spec for your cylinder. Measure in a few different spots. I beleive 69 - 69.014mm with a MAX of 69.1mm

Ring end gap is .014" - .022" you can check that too with a feeler gauge. Put the ring in the cyl by itself and use the piston to push it in as to make it square. Then measure gap with feeler gauge. You will need to do this to check your new rings. It's CRITICAL. If the gap is tight you can use a very fine file to open it a bit.

You'll need some measuring tools,

Vernier (dial caliper)
Feeler gauges
Bore gauge
A micrometer is recommended

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Back