Proud new owner...99 srx :)

nick5oh

Just picked up a 99 srx 700!!! Overall it's in pretty good shape and I'm happy with it so far.
sled came with an m-10 skid installed, stock skid came with it as well. Also came with a bender can, stock can is installed at the moment, and it has a 2" bar riser.
I've been cruisin on this forum before, last season and now this season. Have learned quite a bit. Almost too much info to navigate through sometimes lol. Anyways I'm looking for a bit of help and have some questions.....

Clean power valves and wait for the snow? I know cleaning them is important and should be done frequently. Any parts needed to do this or just remove and clean, and reinstall?

Valve under hood near heads for cooling? On or off and when should I run it off/on? It's off right now and is tight to turn by hand...normal?

M-10 skid??? It sits the sled really high...not really feeling it lol. Can I lower it by adjusting the springs? If so how much will it lower the sled and what will the outcome be in regards to ride quality? I've read it makes the sled handle trails amazing but it's not so great for hole shots and top speed.....true? Do the benefits of comfort on the trails outweigh the acceleration and top speed losses if there is a loss? I have the stock skid but am assuming the track for the m-10 will not work with it correct?

2" bar riser....can I just remove the spacer block and just install shorter bolts? I assume so....anything to look out for? My oem Yamaha cover won't fit the sled properly with the riser plus it feels funny to me. Haven't rode the sled yet but it just feels funny.

Bender can....I need to jet properly with this installed correct? Anyone know what jets to use? Should I call bender for the correct starting point/advice? Was thinking about some clutching mods so I could inquire about that on the same call I guess....still not sure what to do with the clutch? I ride with my dad and he rides 80's yammys so I'll be 1/10th throttle with him through the trails lol....I do want clutching that will work for lake runs though.

Speedo not working??? The cap is missing on the speedo housing, there's grease inside....that's about all I know other than unscrewing the cable and trying to turn it to see if the speedo moves. I've read that there's a bearing in there somewhere that may either be loose or worn out causing speedo issues? Any known issues or further things to check?

Stock skis....I like em cause they're blue....can you still buy them new? Is there a ski I can buy that looks better than the c&a pro skis I have on it now? They're like friggin pontoons on the damn sled, I think they're hideous lol!!! Previous owner says they work very well but they're ugly as all hell lol.

I'm sure I'll think of much more stuff but that's enough for now lol. If there's links I need to read post em I'll read em, I want to learn as much as possible about the sled, and I appreciate all the help and advice I'm sure I will receive in the future! Thanks guys!

That is a lot of questions in one post! Looks like you need to spend an evening on the computer searching. Some times I findit easier to google search a question, it usually diverts back to this site, but it is easier to find specific info with a google search.

I believe there is a M10 setup here on the tech pages. Set it up correctly before you do any major changes. You might flip the front shock brackets to get the front up a bit to match the rear. Do a search on this mod, there is more to it then simply flipping the brackets. If you have money to spend, widen the front with betheviper's kit, this will allow you to use longer shocks and get more travel up front. I did this to mine, with a set of Fox Float3 Evol, I now have about 9" of travel up front.

If you don't know how fresh the shocks are, it might be a good idea to get them rebuilt. I had a shock go out on the first m10 I had...made for a miserable trip! Yes, you will lose some performance with the m10, you have to determine what is important to you...personally the improved ride greatly outweighs the SMALL amount of performance lost.

Awesome!! Congrats. Post some pics.
Power Valves: Never hurts to clean them. Pretty easy to pull and clean.
M10: In order the get the suspension to work , you need to set the ride height with the lower arm bolts and slide it forward or back to the set.
Valve on head: I leave off. Its heated carbs.. keeps them from icing in lots of snow dust or off trail.
Bar riser removal: just pull the block and use shorter bolts.... I might have one if you can figure it out.
Bender can... no need to change jetting.
Speedo: If the speedo is out.. the bearing at the jack shaft under secondary could be out or the little square speed key is broke or missing.
As far as skis... any Newer Style Yamaha skis will work... if you post in the wanted section, I am sure you will find the stock plastic replacements..

Thanks for the info guys! Hopefully I like the m10 setup...can't wait for the snow!!!
Speedo I gotta look into more I guess. I do wanna check over the bearings on the shafts that's for sure.
I'll keep my eye out locally for skis now that I have an idea of what will fit.
And that bender can sounds amazing, can't wait to hear it sing at full throttle :) installed that just now and fired it up. Sounds bad ***!
Thanks again for all the info and I'll be sure to use the search function till I learn more about these bad mofo sleds

M10: In order the get the suspension to work , you need to set the ride height with the lower arm bolts and slide it forward or back to the set.
Valve on head: I leave off. Its heated carbs.. keeps them from icing in lots of snow dust or off trail.
Bar riser removal: just pull the block and use shorter bolts.... I might have one if you can figure it out.
Speedo: If the speedo is out.. the bearing at the jack shaft under secondary could be out or the little square speed key is broke or missing.
As far as skis... any Newer Style Yamaha skis will work... if you post in the wanted section, I am sure you will find the stock plastic replacements..

yup x2!! dig in and ask away

Not sure exactly what you mean about the m10 adjustments? Id really appreciate an install instruction manual at this point lol! Something I could educate myself with lol. A lot of the sled terminology these days has me hitting up google searches so I know what guys are talking about lmfao! The things you mentioned how to set it up have me lost

Hey Nick I'm just south of you located in Fergus. My cottage was in Huntsville, unfortunately we had to sell this year. Anyways, keep the stock skis on. They are better than any other ski I've tried on my Old SRX. Just my opinion though.
Stock skid & skis will give you better handling but obviously that m-10 will be a more comfortable ride. I always had the valve turned on for the heated carbs. Never had an issue with that. Where did you buy the sled?

Hey Nick I'm just south of you located in Fergus. My cottage was in Huntsville, unfortunately we had to sell this year. Anyways, keep the stock skis on. They are better than any other ski I've tried on my Old SRX. Just my opinion though.
Stock skid & skis will give you better handling but obviously that m-10 will be a more comfortable ride. I always had the valve turned on for the heated carbs. Never had an issue with that. Where did you buy the sled?

Unfortunately I didn't get the stock skis with the sled, I do have the stock skid though but if I were to put it back on I assume I would need a track to go with it?
Just picked it up, local buy here in Ontario

Not very familiar with m-10s but I would have to think if it's a 121" skid then you won't need another track. Somebody else will know for sure though.

Back