Drive axle bearing???behind speedo???

your going to need something a bit more aggressive than wd 40 to get that key out. more of a high end penetrent if not some homemade. if its not in the way you can just leave it there.

once you have that bearing off, take some emery and evenly sand the shaft so the new bearing easily slides on and off. it may take a bit but take the time and be sure the bearing is free on the shaft. when your ready to button things up, a bit of anti-seize will help in the future.

Good for you! Sometimes it can be a pita, and other times they just slide right off. The seal on the chaincase should be fine as it's on the outside (backside) of the chaincase. Keep soaking the speedo key. At least it's not busted. Most of the ones I see are snapped in half...yea there not fun getting out.

Thanks buddy...finished it up just now...couple more beatings with the hammer and punches, a bloody hand, then used a pitman arm puller and got it off...oh I forgot, propane torch as well lol.

your going to need something a bit more aggressive than wd 40 to get that key out. more of a high end penetrent if not some homemade. if its not in the way you can just leave it there.

once you have that bearing off, take some emery and evenly sand the shaft so the new bearing easily slides on and off. it may take a bit but take the time and be sure the bearing is free on the shaft. when your ready to button things up, a bit of anti-seize will help in the future.

Thanks for the tips buddy! I was thinking almost the same thing...I was thinking sand the axle and if need be hog out the bearing a bit. I really want this thing to come on and off fairly easy. I want to repair this speedo, and do the bearing while I'm there, then for next season, if all goes well, do the chain case bearings and seals as well as the jack shaft bearings. I've got some other penetrant I could use, I find the stinkier the shit is the better lol. Anyways thanks again for the help

Back