2004 Viper S Reverse Gearbox Swap HELP!!

oldhumpp

A "friend" and Yamaha mech recently installed a Reverse gear case complete on my Viper S. He told me it was a Viper chaincase... I thought no problem. Now I find out it's not out of a Viper and has different gears than original. Standard gearing from what I find is 22-38 for my original non reverse case. He installed a reverse case complete with 22-39 gears. What issues if any will I have. What will I notice? Can I take the original 22-38 gears and chain and use them in the reverse box?? Help, love my sled and don't want it messed up. Thanks

A "friend" and Yamaha mech recently installed a Reverse gear case complete on my Viper S. He told me it was a Viper chaincase... I thought no problem. Now I find out it's not out of a Viper and has different gears than original. Standard gearing from what I find is 22-38 for my original non reverse case. He installed a reverse case complete with 22-39 gears. What issues if any will I have. What will I notice? Can I take the original 22-38 gears and chain and use them in the reverse box?? Help, love my sled and don't want it messed up. Thanks

You cant use the non reverse lower gear in a reverse set up. 1 tooth on the bottom is not going to hurt the sled at all u will just loose about 2 -3 mph on the top end at WOT.

Thanks, no other issues? Seems like I've been reading lots of problems anytime a convention takes place... Reverse on this sled is much more important to me than 2-3 mph at max throttle....

Also, from reading Vipers came with HYVO gears? What are HYVO gears and will I be alright with a non-HYVO reverse Box on the Viper? Bottom line what's the difference? Does a true Viper Reverse box have HIVO gears and how do you tell the difference?
Sorry for all the questions but you guys in this forum are a welcome wealth of knowledge. Much thanks in advance!!!

If it was a complete sx chassis reverse box then it has a rexnord chain. You can't mix and match rexnord gears with hyvo gears. You can always gear down to 21/39 but you will actually be over gearing from where you were before. 1 tooth on the top gear has the same effect as 2 teeth on the bottom. Not on overall ratio but in terms of torque multiplication.

Did this mechanic replace the chain? If he didn't that's money wasted on a reverse box to risk not having a new chain in there. 1000 miles is a good rule of thumb for safe chain life if you have been maintaining it properly. If the chain breaks the case is junk so it's not worth the risk.

One would think such a slight gear change would be hard to notice. You went from
1.727 : 1 gearing To a 1.773 : 1
That's a small ratio change.

Last edited:
The sled is already over geared from the factory so if might feel to him like it's running out of legs on the top end even more.

Guys, thanks for all the insight! Bottom line, in my 60's and reverse will be heaven sent instead of lifting and spinning the machine around...
Regarding "running out of legs".... If and I say if the sled ran 100mph originally, with the gear change, am I looking at 95 or drop to 85? Just for comparison.. Curious, because I'd be alright even with the 85mph... Maybe the it would keep my kids off my sled as they are "speed freaks". Thanks again guys for all the comments..

Guys, thanks for all the insight! Bottom line, in my 60's and reverse will be heaven sent instead of lifting and spinning the machine around...
Regarding "running out of legs".... If and I say if the sled ran 100mph originally, with the gear change, am I looking at 95 or drop to 85? Just for comparison.. Curious, because I'd be alright even with the 85mph... Maybe the it would keep my kids off my sled as they are "speed freaks". Thanks again guys for all the comments..

I have reverse on one of mine and I see 110 to 115 on the speedo and it has a mono shock skid in it.

Back