SRX PTO cylinder not working

striker7284bass

Going through my 2000 SRX 700 for the season having some issue with the PTO side cylinder not getting hot. I pulled the plug and have spark. The other cylinders are firing fine. I went through and clean the carburetors set the power valves. I checked compression it is a bit low but all three cylinders have the same. The plug is wet with fuel. What could be causing the cylinder not operate properly?

Just went through the same thing not long ago. Carbs were dirty. I cleaned them twice, no dice... I broke down and brought to Yammi dealer and presto! running like a champ. I must have missed a passage, I focused mainly on the pilots because they were plugged.

I would also guess carbs. Might be getting enough fuel to make the plug wet but not enough to fire. I would clean again and check the little screen under the needle and seat.

i know your problem. pull your needle and seats. under them is a screen, thats not the culprit , look farther to the small o-ring underneath. thats your issue. the clue was when ya said plug is wet. your getting fuel leak by flooding that jug. 3:16x (yammie tony)

I will have to pull them out again and check all those things. One thing I also noticed is when I had it running and I stuck my hand in front of the carbs where they connect to the air box That cylinder wasn't pushing air as much as the other two

I will have to pull them out again and check all those things. One thing I also noticed is when I had it running and I stuck my hand in front of the carbs where they connect to the air box That cylinder wasn't pushing air as much as the other two

Could also check to see if exhaust is clear. For some reason mice love to build nests in exhaust pipes.

great point also on mice. seen that. 3:16x (yammie tony)
I had it happen when I started my srx this year. Wasn't enough to block it but after it was running for a minute I looked down and there was pieces of insulation and a dazed and confused mouse sitting on the floor.

I went through that cylinder carb cleaned reinstalled same issue swapped it out with a spare carb I had same issue. I'm stumped. The only thing I could check is the fuel line going to that carburetor to see if there's a blockage. Any other ideas

Rusty mag. Clean the rust off the magnets on the flywheel. Easy thing to try.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

If that cylinder is not pumping as much air as the other two then I would try and figure out why. Has to be a reason. Maybe blocked pipe, maybe the crank seal is shot but it would have to be pretty bad to make that much of a difference in airflow. Try spraying carb cleaner behind the clutch when it is running and see if the motor picks up.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can answer this question for SRX. Which cylinder has the impulse line? When fuel pumps fail sometimes they flood that cyl.

I removed the exhaust and verified there is no blockage. I took the carbs out and made sure the bowl, pilot jet and main jet were clean. Same issue. Fuel adjust screws at 1.5 turns. The cylinder closest to the clutch when running is colder than other two cylinders. Replaced 3 spark plugs then moved spark plugs around no change. Cylinder has spark when I pulled cord and had some one ground it to see the spark.

Well I think you need to check your gaskets, crank seals and intake/carb boots. Still not convinced this is your problem though. Make sure fuel screws are all intact. Will the sled rev up? What was your compression exactly?

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Back