Electric start in a 01 mountain max ????

givemeaboost

I've got a 2001 700mm that I put on a electric start kit off my 97mm. The 01 is a Canadian sled. I can't get the plug in figured out for the starter relay . The relay that was with my kit has 4 wires running the same direction and the plug on the 01 has 2 wires running inline and two wire sideways. On the relay I have the back two wires that are hot off the battery and the front outside wire is a ground with the front inside wire being the signal wire from the ignition switch. I've tried running some jumper wires off the plug in to the relay but can't get a hot wire coming off the switch for the start position. Is it possible that this sled doesn't have a start position built into it even though it has the spring pressure against the key ?

Ken........

I took the electric start off my 2002 mtn max last winter. It was a 3 wire triangle connector in the harness that went to the relay and that was it. Other than that it was just pulling the battery tray, starter and wires and out it came. The colors in the harness to the relay were red, red with a white tracer and black

Your sled it wired for e start, they all are. Any e start from any proaction sled will work on any proaction sled. (say that 10 times fast) LOL. You should have a harness comming off the relay that you will need from the 97. The MM never came stock with e start so it should unplug further up from relay. If not you can order a "patch cord" or just cut the old one out of the 97 MM will not effect sled. This harness comming from the relay should have a red, red/white, black wire. this will plug into your e start port. Not sure where it will be on your MM but it should be on right hand side by footwell or coolant bottle. Also take a look at this post, very helpfull with good pic's http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...ll-help-needed?highlight=electric+start+relay

The e-start plug on my 02 comes out of the harness near where the tors wires come out and the giant cdi plug with the rubber cover is. If the plug has never been touched before it will have a dummy plug stuck in it to keep moisture out of the harness connector.

I went and checked my 01 today and it does have the triangular plug on it so should be good to go. Funny thing is that plug looks like the TPS plug on my RX1.

Ken.......

You found it! Your all set its just plug in and go. My sled didn't have the accessory fuse box in it that comes with the electric start kit. I guess its not really needed. I believe it's just jumped in between 2 plugs in the harness. It was suppose to be under the steering hoop by the plugs for the grip warmers but I never found it.

I went the other way with my sled. I tried it for a season with a Li-Po battery to lighten things up and it just never had the performance it needed. It was a 270cca battery but when it was cold it couldn't turn the sled over at all. You still had to pull start it for the first start of the day so I said well I guess I don't really need it then.

I had always been gun shy about having an exclusively pull start sled but that was because of the experience I had with my first sled. I started with an 87 indy 600 that had been bored out and never really ran right. It was piston port and started hard then sometimes it would get vapor locked and stall and not want to start again. I was so worried about it not starting that I swore I wanted electric start if I was out in the woods.......then I bought a yamaha that always starts and I have gotten comfortable with it that I don't feel like it will leave me stranded.

First do the easy and make sure its wired correctly? Battery good? Relay fuses good, ive had them bad even though they looked good. If they are still the original get new. Then take a screw driver and bridge the two posts on the relay, careful as it will spark a bit but no harm. If it turns over it could be a bad relay as long as all your wiring is correct. Do you have any pics of your wiring?? This is a simple system we just have to find out where your going wrong.

Back