Is it worth it to change the tunnel from short to long track?

Sorry for being an asshole alot, just nit revving into high gear lately
I'm thinking of swapping my original tunnel for a 144-155 or 156 tunnel if I can find it, I'm wanting make my shorty in to a mountain sled, basically more length for the slush we get here, that and I liked the looks lol, also thinking of the handle strap too, what do you all think?

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

I stretched mine from 121 to 144. A tunnel extension, a rail extension and a Camoplast 144 1.5 Crossover track totally transformed it. It does VERY well in all the conditions I have @ my area.
Do something like this to yours and you'll be 1 happy camper!!

Sorry for being an asshole alot, just nit revving into high gear lately
I'm thinking of swapping my original tunnel for a 144-155 or 156 tunnel if I can find it, I'm wanting make my shorty in to a mountain sled, basically more length for the slush we get here, that and I liked the looks lol, also thinking of the handle strap too, what do you all think?

Well...this depends on how attached you are to this sled. Personally I would go buy a mountain sled and be done with it. Your going to be getting into clutching and gearing and possibly a smaller driver depending on track lug size. Sounds like an expensive project. 2 cents.
Are you thinking rail extensions or getting a different skid? Longer skid will probably require drop brackets too.
Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Haha define worth it. It's expensive to do it right. Skip one of the steps and it will suck.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Id go 136x1.75" rail and tunnel extensions. Your snow conditions rarely needs anything longer. If going 144 a cobra or 1.5" lug track would work good aswell.

Northwest river out by burin?

You can do it fairly cheaply if you find good used parts. Basically I would skip rail extensions and find a different skid. The Proaction (if that is what you have) is just not a very good deep snow skid and the ride is quite poor compared to more recent options. I would simply extend the tunnel and use a mountain rear cooler and hoses. Swap drivers and you accomplish the gearing change (9-tooth to 8-tooth is 11%). Also find a good track for your typical riding.

• Skid - $350
  • Tunnel Ext - $50 - $75
  • Hoses / Covers - $100
  • Track - $350 used - $600 new
  • Drivers - $100

So you can do it for around $1000 (can even go lower if you can find really good deals).

However, these Proaction chassis trailing arm sleds are no match for newer sleds off-trail even if you dump a ton of money into them. I had to go and prove it myself :o|

Here are a few pics of my Viper Mod . . .

20150129_121615.jpg20140107_130456.jpgDSCN0347.jpg

p.s. Swapping the tunnel is a serious undertaking. I have done a few now and it takes a good deal of work and patience as most everything needs to come off including the engine, belly pan and coolers.

Id go 136x1.75" rail and tunnel extensions. Your snow conditions rarely needs anything longer. If going 144 a cobra or 1.5" lug track would work good aswell.

Northwest river out by burin?
No I'm in Central Labrador, near Happy Valley Goose Bay, in my yard I can get 12 foot drifts, it's fun in the spring

You can do it fairly cheaply if you find good used parts. Basically I would skip rail extensions and find a different skid. The Proaction (if that is what you have) is just not a very good deep snow skid and the ride is quite poor compared to more recent options. I would simply extend the tunnel and use a mountain rear cooler and hoses. Swap drivers and you accomplish the gearing change (9-tooth to 8-tooth is 11%). Also find a good track for your typical riding.

• Skid - $350
  • Tunnel Ext - $50 - $75
  • Hoses / Covers - $100
  • Track - $350 used - $600 new
  • Drivers - $100

So you can do it for around $1000 (can even go lower if you can find really good deals).

However, these Proaction chassis trailing arm sleds are no match for newer sleds off-trail even if you dump a ton of money into them. I had to go and prove it myself :o|

Here are a few pics of my Viper Mod . . .

View attachment 59987View attachment 59988View attachment 59989

p.s. Swapping the tunnel is a serious undertaking. I have done a few now and it takes a good deal of work and patience as most everything needs to come off including the engine, belly pan and coolers.
The viper looks great, and yah a ton of work, I don't like the look of the extensions you rivet or bolt one, just my tastes

No I'm in Central Labrador, near Happy Valley Goose Bay, in my yard I can get 12 foot drifts, it's fun in the spring

Oh well big difference. Dont know why its a fad now but everwhere you look you see people buying 155+ sleds here just cause they look cool.

Id say you if your going that long a skid swap is the best option then. If you got all your measurements its a pretty quick job. Put a 121 poo skid in mine within a few hours. Made a template to make quick work of drilling the holes.

Oh well big difference. Dont know why its a fad now but everwhere you look you see people buying 155+ sleds here just cause they look cool.

Id say you if your going that long a skid swap is the best option then. If you got all your measurements its a pretty quick job. Put a 121 poo skid in mine within a few hours. Made a template to make quick work of drilling the holes.
Yah I think of the more practical, I'm afraid if I have the extension on and I'm in slob it will rip off lol

I might have to look into it, thanks for the suggestion

I have an 02 viper that my dad built into a 151. He put an MPI tunnel on it, and had to swap the bulkhead to the new tunnel. He used a Polaris suspension with a camoplast 2" track. To fit the track, he did a dropped and rolled chaincase. Also if you are thinking about doing any actual mountain riding you might want to swap the skis. These skis are from an Apex mtx. To drop a little weight he put a lightweight lexon hood on it, which is kind of flimsy but dropped nearly 20 lbs!
Imo it is worth it if you don't want to get a new sled, and it will also turn some heads too!
uploadfromtaptalk1451672325978.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1451672344488.jpg

Back