Replacing your helmet

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How often do you guys replace your go to helmet? And by that I'm assuming we all have a backup for different riding conditions. The reason I'm asking is I was looking at some helmets at a dealer today while shopping for new riding pants and if course the gf asks " why are you looking at those,you already have 2". Well I tell her that as a general rule of thumb most " experts " say to replace your helmet every 5 years or so. So then this brings on more questions about why and what to do with the old ones etc.

I tried on a 509 helmet and was really disappointed in how it felt on my head,it was almost as if the ear padding was missing. But then I pulled on an FXR lid and it was very comfortable, I just couldn't find a colour combo I liked. May have to go with the tried and true black and white.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

By default I've had a new one every couple years lately. First on got small as I got big, LOL. Second one saved my gord when a tree got in my way. Now I use 509 and just love the set up. But I will stick with the every couple year rule if nothing goes wrong with current set up.

I was really disappointed with the fit of the 509 helmet I tried on,I should've tried on a couple different ones to see if they were all the same because if it had been comfortable I would've bought one today.It felt like the padding where your ears rest was missing,or is there a gap in the padding where the ears would go?

I do too,pretty much. The motocross style one I bought was just a cheaper helmet,I wanted to see if I'd like that style before investing too much into a helmet I might not ever wear again lol. That being said I'm now looking for a decent quality motocross style because I guess I'll stick with that type for now.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I like both modular's and motocross style. My problem with my motocross helmet is my glasses fog up and I can't stop them from fogging.

My lid is a 2002 KBC snx helmet and Oakley E-frame snow googles.This helmet is SNELL and DOT approved.Helmet was never dropped and fits like a glove.A few years ago I picked up a new ZOX corsa full face lid(SNELL and DOT rating)for cheap.Only problem is the single plane lens(pure fog up on really cold days).If the helmet was dropped or in a accident I dump it.dec 29 2013 03.jpg

Back