SRX Crankshaft PTO bearing replacement

FJ-40

The PTO bearing on my 2000 up style SRX crankshaft has no play in it but makes some noise when turning it by hand the rest of the bearings seem perfect. When moving it slowly I can feel an rough spot that I can move it back and forth over. I ordered a new bearing set from Yamaha the old bearing just slides off the crank end but the race seems to be an interference fit. What is proper procedure for removing the race it is tight to the counter weight and no puller will fit behind it so I am assuming it has to be heated to expand it to remove it. When replacing it with the new race if it has to be heated to install it how hot and what method should be used. The only reference to doing this I could find was on a Ski-Doo site that said heating the new race to 120 degrees in mineral oil then dropping it on the end of the crank. Thanks.

I have been searching the internet since posting this even tried heating the race on the old busted crank I have but found it heated the crank just as fast and wouldn't release the race. Finally I found on a KTM motorcycle site a video of how to remove this style of race. The tool required to do this is a heating ring, it is a metal ring that is about a 1/2 thick with the inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the race, it has slots cut in it and one cut completely through. It has one handle on one side and two handles on the other side where it is cut completely through. Once heated you drop over the race pinch it on tight with the double handle side give it a quick twist and off comes the race. The guy in the video says you have to be quick before the heat transfers to the crank but he made it look easy. Now to get the magnifying glass out and take the part number off the race and try and find a heating ring tool to fit it. Just looking at how this race was on the crank I knew heat had to involved. Well wish me luck.

Back