Viper test run.. F...!!!

Yes you're right. I've bought better fuel lines. Have them in my jet ski and they don't go soft. Also rerouted the mag line, there are no tight bends now. Have also got one of those mini snake lights.
About the jetting, how far distance/time (shortest possible) to get a correct reading of needles and mains? I would really like to keep things as is because the sled was really flying. :) I don't want to rebuild again though so maybe I should jet up a notch on needles and mains as suggested and take it from there checking wash and plugs.

Mrviper700 likes your jetting so you are most likely good there. Only thing would be fuel quality and the ethanol them are beyond your control. I know if you go up one size (162.5/165) you can easily go back a lot easier than rebuilding again. Just my 2cents

you wouldn't have saved that burn down even having a 165 main jet in there, the difference between a 162.5 and a 165 is only a half size, so its not a big difference. You need to becarefull on the fuel used and the temp which you operate the sled, jet it for the coldest you ride in and leave a tad of safety in it, just in case you get caught out late at night on a real cold night. Also I am pasting a article for you to read and follow. You need to go thru the circuits 1 by 1 and adjust as needed to get the end result.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/53735-Jetting-a-sled-and-reading-plugs-piston-wash

Thank you so much for all the good info. :)

I've read the article before and that is how I've done it. Sort of... Soon I'll have a black belt in searching this site.. ;)
I started with 47,5 lows and I needed two turns out before the engine would respond correctly. Changed lows to 50 and 1,5 turns out was perfect. (1,25 and 1,75 wasn't as good)
I made a decision last night and jetted the needles up half a clip to 4-4,5-4,5 and the mains up to 162,5-162,5-165. Since I was spot on the last time and no room for safety I figured that's the way to go. Better rich than sorry.. ;)

I do believe that the fuel line did it. On the picture I'm holding it with one hand and the last bend to the mag carb is much tighter. On my sled I had a small spring wrapped around that fuel line at that point so that's why I didn't notice it before.. Those springs have always been there so I just put them where they were.

The in-tank filter was ok. It is consuming oil on a decent level so I believe that's ok too.
I will wait for my parts to arrive and then fire it up again and do some break-in.
When I feel confident enough I'll do plug and wash check at 600 and 1000 ft. It will take some time but I can test it close to home and make adjustments.

Again thanks for all the help and let's hope that it runs without surprises this time.

Hi again!
I got the viper reassembled and the snow went away. Now we got a couple of inches again... :)
Have heat cycled it a couple of times and went out yesterday for a little test ride. 32 deg F, sea level, 50 pilots, screws 1.5, needles at 4-4.5-4.5, mains 162.5-162.5-165. It felt pretty ok but rich. First 3 pictures are 1/2 throttle, 2nd 3 pictures are wot, pto-cen-mag. I think pto and mag looks as expected, a little dark and a really thin black layer on the pistons. Cen looks wet and the piston looks shiny not dull just shiny new like.

What do you guys think? Please :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
Im no expert and hopefully a few of them chime in, looks like not much room for temp drop.

I'm with sled, temps drop and I think you will be in trouble.

If only we had fuel injection with automatic atmospheric adjustment!

Ok got it. Thanks
Since I've been resetting the whole sled... I forgot to reset one thing, the oil-pump.. Was at 22mm adjusted it to 21 this evening.
It was set like that because it drank too much oil. I'll check ratio again now with current setup.

Ok.
Man this is hard to get. Needles were spot on (3,5-4-4) the day it sized. Sea level 5 deg F (-15C). Today I'm also on the scary side needles at 4-4,5-4,5. Sea level 32 deg F (0C).

I think they look good I see 2 different colors on ground strap and the center core electrode is silver around outside and a dark center so I would say you do have some temp drop in there yet....... but if its 32 out when your checking these plugs you don't have a safe jetting to be riding at say 10degrees or down to zero , it will be lean then..

you need better fuel, more octane to protect you.

Yes ok.
I'll buy fresh fuel at next riding day and check. There must be some super light stuff in the "super premium 92,75" fuel here. My closed half full can was ballooning on me in the garage.

Hi, filled her up today. Fuel with ethanol, thats what I can get my hands on.. Took another test ride. It runs really strong now, hopefully not to strong..
Pictures of plugs pto-cen-mag, darker side are intake, colours on pictures a little bit bright mag is chocolate colour in real. To me pto-mag looks good, cen a little too white..
Cen-mag piston has a 2' purple/blue circle in the middle, outside all around is shiny metal like. Pto has a more black dark tan all over.

What do you think? (same jetting PJ 50, PS 1.5, JN 4-4.5-4.5, MJ 162,5-162.5-165, sea level 0 deg C)

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
One of the stations nearby have premix alcylate on pump. Drained ethanol fuel, loosened oil cable 1mm, filled with alcylate.
Now all three pistons has a 2' black circle (it's blue/purple to me but maybe it's the led flashlight that fools me) outside is wet and shiny. The sled has now a noticeable problem clearing up from 1/2 throttle pic 1, i'm approx 500 rpm lower at 1/2 throttle, 200 rpm lower when wot pic 2.

Thinking of going back to mrvipers 1st advised setting (lowering needles half a clip to 3.5-4 and 1/2 size down on the mains to 160-162.5)

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 9

Back