96 vmax4 blowing belts

bmcfadden

VIP Member
bought a 96 vmax 4. blew the belt on it. realized it was some off shore brand, so went to dealer and bought $80 OEM belt. Rode it for 20 mins and blew it to shreds too. Seemed to be riding very low in the secondary... an inch for sure. Where do i start to diagnose this problem? obvious first, E-brake wasnt on, track spins freely when turning the secondary by hand... anything to look for in the primary and secondary?

thanks in advance

Clean clutches and check alignment also check the adjustment screws in the back of the secondary. Motor mounts are another good thing to check loose or broken mount will cause this problem as well.

center to center 363.5-366.5, offset 14.5-17.5, v-belt heighth 5-7mm. Clutches must be parallel

the vmax 4 belt should ride above the inner and outer secondary sheave. if it dose not, you have some big problems going on. wrong belt, center to center wrong and or improper offset/ deflection spec. i have used one belt for seven years on my 95 vmax 4, you have a problem. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Last edited:
After you figure out what is the cause of the belt blowing is go get yourself a ultimax pro belt they are a great belt and I have been running mine for 5 years now trouble free.

sorry to say i disagree mark. only belt that works to spec on a vmax 4 is the yamaha belt which he blew up for $80 bucks. 3:16x (yammie tony)

After you figure out what is the cause of the belt blowing is go get yourself a ultimax pro belt they are a great belt and I have been running mine for 5 years now trouble free.

An Ultimax belt was the ONLY belt I ever had trouble with. It was shorter than it was suppose to be and squealed at idle. Swapped back to a Yamaha Belt and all was good again. Yammy belts are all I'll use anymore. Scored 2 on Ebay a few years ago, dirt cheap.

I've never had a problem with the Yamaha belt or the ultimax pro belt. I just choose the ultmax pro because it's a lot cheaper and I haven't blowed or yet.
But the one belt I don't like the gates belts I bought one about 6 years ago and it was guaranteed not to stretch or loose performance in any riding conditions. What they didn't say was it will SHRINK. It shrunk 2.5 inches in less than a mile. It took me 2 hour to get it off and then they wouldn't refund it or exchange it they blamed it on my sled and said it was my fault.

I don't have experience on the vmax 4 but a couple years ago my cousin and I were out drag racing and both sleds had the ultimax belt and we shredded both of them. One on my srx and another on a rx1. They were hooking pretty good but still. We both put Yamaha belts on and have not had a problem since. On a good note the ultimax belt makes good shims for the skis.

Have an 8BU belt on my v4 for years. Never any problem. Alignment is more critical on the v4 cuz the length is much longer than normal sleds. I have heard stories of guys shredding belts on the v4.

What ever belt you plan to run check a couple things orior to running it. If belt sits 1 inch in on secondary I suspect you either have a broken spring in the secondary or the spring has dislodged itself from the torsion holes..
If its not that a thorough check of center to center and aligent should be done.

IMO
As long as Yamaha is still providing belts for our VMAX4s don't use any other brand. As previously stated VMAX4 belts are very long and more prone to damage from improper center to center and alignment issues.
I have always floated my secondary clutches on all my sleds so they can self align.
Like Jabber said...there is something not right if your belt is sitting that low in the secondary...top of belt should be just slightly higher then the top of the secondary clutch sheaves.

Check alienment ,,center to center ,,,,,,,,make sure everything is tight,,,,,,,,,,,,But befour that pull clean, inspect clutches an springs,buttons and bushings,,,,,,,,,, new yamy belt and fly..............

Back