98 xtc 700 water pump ?

xtcwfo

My water pump started leaking,so i thought a seal let go.Tore the pump cover off and found the bolt holding the impeller had come out.Some how the bolt must have got past the impeller and stuck up in the cooling system.Ive back flushed the system with water and air,but still no bolt.A lot of fine metal grit came out,but i think thats from the impeller grinding into the pump cover.The sled has 5600 miles on it.Has anyone had this happen to them?

xtcwfo said:
My water pump started leaking,so i thought a seal let go.Tore the pump cover off and found the bolt holding the impeller had come out.Some how the bolt must have got past the impeller and stuck up in the cooling system.Ive back flushed the system with water and air,but still no bolt.A lot of fine metal grit came out,but i think thats from the impeller grinding into the pump cover.The sled has 5600 miles on it.Has anyone had this happen to them?
I had the same problem 3 years ago, i found the bolt , im sure it was in the hose, identical scenario.

mine just did this a couple of weeks ago, and i even had loctite on the bolt :o| Anyway, i tore it apart and found the bolt about 2 inches into the big hose that comes out of the front of the housing. New impeller, bolt, washer, and a lot more loctite and now its fine. It didn't chew up the cover too bad, but the impeller was toast. That washer is WAY overpriced, damn Japanese thieves.

I wish i can find the bolt.i'm gonna try finding it again.Parts cost $150. I dont like not finding the D** bolt.Would you know the torque on the impeller bolt and pumpcover? thanks

the torque is supposed to be 11.3 ft/lbs i believe, not exactly sure how you measure it that accurately.

Back