1999 Mountain Max 700 SLP Pipes Jetting

Walter Ray Haynie

I recently purchased a 1999 Mountain Max 700. Previous owner had installed SLP triple pipes and supposedly milled the head (I've measured squish at .051, I read somewhere that stock squish is .055) It was difficult to start cold and had an idle that would hang for 10-15 seconds or so at 3k rpm before finally settling down to 1600. Throttle response is substantially slower than my 97 MM700 (unknown jetting, it has run like a raped ape from the day I bought it).

I tore the carbs down for cleaning and to take a look at PO's jetting. Main jets are 137.5 straight across, pilots were 45, fuel screw 1.5 turns, q4 needle jets, needle 2nd position from the top with shims centered.

Most of my riding takes place from 7-9k feet, but there is one trailhead I like to ride that is 10 minutes from home starting at 4500 feet and topping out at 10k. Jetting for a base altitude of 5k according to SLP would be 137.5 mains, 60 pilot, 2.25 turns on fuel screw, q2 needle jets, needle 3rd position. I run 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

I changed the pilot to a 60 and this eliminated my cold start issue. Idle would still hang at 2500-3k before settling (testing at 4500 feet), throttle response was better than before, but still not anywhere close to my 97. I then adjusted the fuel screws to 2.25 turns and noticed no change. Next, I moved the needle to the third position and this eliminated the hanging idle, but no change to throttle response. In the 1/4-3/4 throttle range the sled seems to run rich, and 'gurgles' until you increase throttle and build rpm, then runs glass smooth above 8k rpm 3/4-full throttle.

I am trying to get ahold of q2 needle jets, but have been informed by jetsrus.com that they are discontinued and he only has one on the shelf. He's sending it to me, but I'm having no luck locating two more. Piston wash reads rich, (1/4 of piston washed on intake side, maybe 1/8 the rest of the way around) and I'm smelling gas pretty strong after I come to a stop. I have a 159 track, rail extensions, and a custom tunnel extension I built ready to go on this sled, but I want it running to it's full potential before I start modifying it. Does anyone know where I can locate 499 series Q-2 needle jets, or know if there is something I can do with the needle/main/pilot to accomplish the same effect as a needle jet swap?

Back