repacking bender stingers

im running bender triples on my 2000 sxr,and it seems to be a little loud.i cut one stinger open, and pulled it out to check the packing.it looks ok, but i am wondering if i should add more packing, or just replace it to quite it down a little.here are a few pics.sxr 001.jpgsxr 002.jpgsxr 003.jpgsxr 004.jpg

The packing in my bender for my 97 sx 600 was about like that and was really loud. I repacked it and is a lot quieter now.
I repacked mine with FMF 4stroke packing.

You should replace it and add more to fill the can. This will quit it down a little and help it run like it should.

I use Fiberfrax ceramic to pack silencers. Made like fiberglass but ceramic and very dense. Give a lower throatier sound and will never burn out. Stuff is good for temps of up 3000 degrees depending. Won't use anything else.

opsled

The FMF 4stroke packing can be found at any dealer for like $10.
The fiberfrax ceramic I don't know this is the first time I've ever heard of it. I'm sure opsles knows.

I've used fiberglass house insulation in my 2 stroke dirt bikes. It's not as dense as muffler packing, so it didn't last as long, but it worked fine.

When you remove the packing, heat the perforated pipe sections with a propane torch to burn off any gunk/carbon deposits, and then wire brush them.

I use Fiberfrax ceramic to pack silencers. Made like fiberglass but ceramic and very dense. Give a lower throatier sound and will never burn out. Stuff is good for temps of up 3000 degrees depending. Won't use anything else.

opsled

where can i buy this?can you shoot me a link?

I used to build fire training towers. They were a steel structure with stainless steel interior. The insulation we used to keep the framing protected from the heat generated from the fires that were lit inside for training purposes was Fiberfrax blankets much like you would buy fiberglass to insulate a house. I have a role of the stuff that will keep me going for years. Most places that sell it don't deal in small volumes like you would need to pack a silencer on an exhaust pipe and have minimum orders that start at around $100.

However there is a guy on Ebay that is selling what looks to be the same stuff from a different manufacturer in quantities/sizes that would be about perfect for what is needed.

Here is his link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Fib...RT-8-Thermal-Ceramics-1-x12-x24-/201448282093

This link is for a 1" X 12" X 24" piece. That should be enough to do about 4 average size 2 stroke silencers. The price is right.

I would try it without hesitation.

No comparison between this stuff an fiberglass, steel wool or any other concoction you can come up with.

Been down this road before.

opsled

fiberglass, steel wool or any other concoction you can come up with.
I pre-FER redneck ingenuity. But yea.. The material your talking about is good stuff. My sons a FF and has some of the same stuff. I hadn't even though about going that route. Good thinkin.

You didn't build a fire tower in Byron Illinios did ya?

Last edited:
I used to build fire training towers. They were a steel structure with stainless steel interior. The insulation we used to keep the framing protected from the heat generated from the fires that were lit inside for training purposes was Fiberfrax blankets much like you would buy fiberglass to insulate a house. I have a role of the stuff that will keep me going for years. Most places that sell it don't deal in small volumes like you would need to pack a silencer on an exhaust pipe and have minimum orders that start at around $100.

However there is a guy on Ebay that is selling what looks to be the same stuff from a different manufacturer in quantities/sizes that would be about perfect for what is needed.

Here is his link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Fib...RT-8-Thermal-Ceramics-1-x12-x24-/201448282093

This link is for a 1" X 12" X 24" piece. That should be enough to do about 4 average size 2 stroke silencers. The price is right.

No comparison between this stuff an fiberglass, steel wool or any other concoction you can come up with.

opsled[/QUOTE is that enough to do three bender stingers?

thank you soo much,im gonna buy some and try it out,has a close call with the wardens last weekend,couldnt believe they didnt give me a ticket.

Here is his link.

opsled
just ordered it,do you have any tips or suggestion for repacking the stingers.i wanna get it right the first time.not sure how much to use.one wrap? two? thanks again

How much you need depends on the diameter of the silencer vs the internal pipe. I like a bit of overlap on the packing if possible. I've even carefully cut the packing to create a shiplap joint if there is only room for one layer.

Wrap the internal pipe so the packing is a little larger than the pipe you are putting it in and hold it's position with a little masking tape. Then cut a piece of paper that is the same length as the packing and long enough to go around it a couple of times. Wrap the paper around the packing and roll it on a table with some pressure like you are rolling out dough. This will compact the packing enough to allow the whole thing to be slid inside the pipe without the packing hitching up on the pipe. Leave the paper on while sliding it in. Once in you should then be able to pull the paper out while holding the internal pipe and packing in. If the paper doesn't want to come out don't worry. Just leave it there as it will not hurt anything.

Good Luck, opsled

Back