02 viper 700 Spark Issue

towerdude

Hey guys. bought a 2002 viper 700 triple with electric start and reverse. Worked great most of the day til the battery lost juice. Found out the voltage output at the battery was only around 10 volts while running at any speed. Everything seemed to operate just fine for 150 miles except the charging circuit. I suspected rectifier. Called the dealer I got it from and he blamed the stator. Bought a new one from him. the old one and the new one ohm out the same. the only issue with the old one, is that the magnetic pick-up wires (W/R and W/G) had been repaired before and metering between the case ground and the mag, the resistance was in Mohms instead of 0.3 on the new one. Installed the new stator and upon reassembly, I have zero spark now. What did I possibly miss? Ground wire that hooks to recoil housing was reinstalled. Stator harness plugs are reinstalled. could the mag pickup be a little too far from the flywheel mag? Need some ideas please.

Also the old mag pickup had the mounting holes notched open. Is there a specific gap that needs to be between the pick-up and the raised portions on the housing? The new stator's mag pick-up just fits in the case holes at a fixed distance. The flywheel stator housing is keyed and I don't think we rolled the engine at all during removal or install. Is this supposed to be reinstalled while #1 piston is at TDC or something?

Is it an aftermarket stator? The pickup coil is a fixed distance. I just ran into that a couple weeks ago where a guy changed his stator with aftermarket and he had no spark. The pickup coil was too far away from the flywheel. Better off with a used oem than a new aftermarket.

The Stator is new Yamaha OEM straight from the dealer in a Yamaha box. As to the flywheel.... I suppose that could be from something else. Problem is that I have zero history on this sled and it has obviously been worked on before. Any idea where to find what the flywheel to pickup coil gap tolerance is?

the air gap between the pick up coil to the flywheel magnet is to be .020-.030", if its more then that it wont have spark. Going off your story, sounds to me to have the wrong year case and the pick up coil is too far away from the flywheel magnet.

the air gap between the pick up coil to the flywheel magnet is to be .020-.030", if its more then that it wont have spark. Going off your story, sounds to me to have the wrong year case and the pick up coil is too far away from the flywheel magnet.
I didn't think of that one. If that is the case you can get a flywheel from a sxr that had the dual bulb headlight. I think it was 01 when it went to dual headlight. It will have the 3 long magnets with 1 short one. The single bulbs had only the 3 long magnets. I don't remember where the numbers on the case are but you can find it and verify which case it is.

Thank you. I am guessing by the issues at hand that I got some sort of basketcase. The flywheel does have the 3 raised spots and a single square. I will have to try to figure something out. I am guessing by the way the other stator ohms out that the problem has been the rectifier/regulator the whole time. Ran great, started great, but the wires going to the battery were only supplying 10.5VDC.

Last edited:
What mrviper is saying is it might have a case off something else. The viper and the 00-02 srx have a smaller diameter flywheel which means the pickup coil will be in a different location than say a 98-99 srx. I have a 99 srx that I switched to the newer electronics and I couldn't use a flywheel from a newer srx or viper so I had to get one from a sxr with the dual bulb headlight(which basically means it is a 300 watt stator) or the location for the pickup coil has to be moved on the case. What is the gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel magnets now?

since you have the recoil off look at the numbers on the side of the case inside where the stator is, it will say either 8dn00 or 8dn10, if its a 8dn00 then its a 98-99 srx case and that's why you have the issue. you can make a bracket to move the pick up coil closer to the flywheel, OR get that 2001 sxr flywheel, that will also work. has to be from a dual bulb headlight sxr 700

May be tough to tell but gap was 3/8" Took the bottom mounting screw out and turned the pickup closer to the flywheel and HELLO SPARK! Thanks for the info guys. Now I just gotta get a larger flywheel or rig an adjustable mount for the pickup.

20160201_131443[1].jpg

Thank you. I am guessing by the issues at hand that I got some sort of basketcase. The flywheel does have the 3 raised spots and a single square. I will have to try to figure something out. I am guessing by the way the other stator ohms out that the problem has been the rectifier/regulator the whole time. Ran great, started great, but the wires going to the battery were only supplying 10.5VDC.

Did you replace the rectifier to get the voltage back up to battery or just fix the pick up coil to get the voltage back to the battery?

Back