Not able to test clutching. Do you think I am close?

drew24

Looks like I will not be able to test before my trip. I was able to test a little in November but changed some stuff since. I had 24/40 gearing with 9 tooth drivers. 8dn-20 with 4.5 in each hole ywy spring pioneer 51/43 with green at 70 and it was perfect at about 8100 climbing to 83-8400. I have since put in 23/40 gears and put 8dn-10 cylinders and heads on it. Also I have a 136x1 hacksaw track on it. With that changed I changed the tip weight to 5.5 grams and changed the spring to www and swapped to 51/45 pioneer helix hoping for too much weight and then tune it in from there but chances are slim we will get a little snow to test and tune. I know last year I had 23/37 gearing with 8 tooth with the first setup I listed and it was over revving to about 8550 and I left it alone knowing I was going to change stuff over the summer. Anyone have any guesses to where I will be in the rpm range?

Not being able to test much sucks. I ran it a couple weeks ago up north with the posted setup and it pulled 8200 then climbed to about 8400. It was about 35-40 F. I put the 8dn-20 with the 4.5 gram in both holes back in and ran it this weekend and it went right to 8500 and stayed there and maybe climbed to 8600. Again it was about the same temps. Not looking good to be able to test in cold conditions. Am I right in thinking it will over rev in colder conditions with current setup. Except for this year normal temps for me are 10-25F. Trying to get an idea on what to do to get is as close as possible for next year. I let my cousin ride it all weekend and he ran my other cousins 09 skidoo 800 and took him up until the end then the skidoo passed him when it was 45F out. It was maybe a 500 ft stretch (at the boon fire in Michigan if anyone knows about how long that is) and I didn't know they were going to run so I didn't get to tell him to rip it up for a minute to get the pipes hot. I am thinking if I got it dialed in a little better and had colder temps with hot pipes he would have spanked the 800. I can feel it is not at full power in warm conditions and also can tell when the pipes are not hot. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Not being able to test much sucks. I ran it a couple weeks ago up north with the posted setup and it pulled 8200 then climbed to about 8400. It was about 35-40 F. I put the 8dn-20 with the 4.5 gram in both holes back in and ran it this weekend and it went right to 8500 and stayed there and maybe climbed to 8600. Again it was about the same temps. Not looking good to be able to test in cold conditions. Am I right in thinking it will over rev in colder conditions with current setup. Except for this year normal temps for me are 10-25F. Trying to get an idea on what to do to get is as close as possible for next year. I let my cousin ride it all weekend and he ran my other cousins 09 skidoo 800 and took him up until the end then the skidoo passed him when it was 45F out. It was maybe a 500 ft stretch (at the boon fire in Michigan if anyone knows about how long that is) and I didn't know they were going to run so I didn't get to tell him to rip it up for a minute to get the pipes hot. I am thinking if I got it dialed in a little better and had colder temps with hot pipes he would have spanked the 800. I can feel it is not at full power in warm conditions and also can tell when the pipes are not hot. What do you guys think?

I have a very similar setup for my 01 that I switch out for my drag n flys depending on conditions. I have same track and run 23/40 as well 9 tooth drivers. 8dn 20's with bolts in both holes ground to fit between the spider. G-W-G Primary (believe this is the stiffest) spring, silver secondary at 70 with a 53/43. two weeks ago it was -16 C pulled 112mph. SRX's run much better in cooler temps then when its warm. Jetting could also be factor in that though. I've notice once the sled is warmed up, my first run on the lake is always the fastest, after that I think the pipes get a little too hot and it slows down.

Just my 2 cents.

You don't happen to know what the bolts weigh do you? I think for now I am going to put the weights with the 5.5 in the tip back in. We are supposed to be getting a foot of snow so I think they should be good for the deeper stuff. I think then I will wait and test when it is normal riding conditions. Probably be next year for that but I am thinking in the colder temps it might be pretty close. I might try heel clickers next year but it would be nice to have a setup that I know works I can put in if needed. I am making notes so in the future I can change accordingly. Thanks

You don't happen to know what the bolts weigh do you? I think for now I am going to put the weights with the 5.5 in the tip back in. We are supposed to be getting a foot of snow so I think they should be good for the deeper stuff. I think then I will wait and test when it is normal riding conditions. Probably be next year for that but I am thinking in the colder temps it might be pretty close. I might try heel clickers next year but it would be nice to have a setup that I know works I can put in if needed. I am making notes so in the future I can change accordingly. Thanks

I can find out tonight for you, I don't have them in right now just sitting on my bench. I ran the 4.5 rivet in the mid for the longest time then decided to put bolts in each. When I ran the 8dn20 the other weekend I was running my heel clickers before and the sled ran identical with either setup. Testing against another srx. Changed my heel clicker setup but I have the old one that worked better written down.

Had a chance to run it with the weights with 4.5 in inner and 5.5 in the tip and it is about perfect. Didn't get as much snow as we were supposed to but enough to ride in. Was a little low on rpms at first in the hard pack but that was at temps in the lower 30's. When it got a little colder at night it made a huge difference. Pulled really hard. Think I am happy where she is right now.

Back