Viper suspension mount holes - which one?? Help!

redbuckeye84

Hi I just dropped the skid down out of my 03 mountain viper - I bought it used and noticed there are 2 mount hole locations in the center of the sled tunnel. They are only about 1" or less apart. The skid was mounted in the upper hole. I want to make sure this is correct. If so, what's the purpose of the lower hole?
Thanks!!

Use the lower hole in front in conjunction with the lower hole in rear.

Sorry I think I might have originally asked this in a confusing way- there are 3 mounting locations on each side of the sled for the pro action skid: one in the front, middle and rear. The front one only has one hole, the rear has several holes and mine was mounted in the upper location and the middle (the one in question) has two holes (and upper hole and lower hole) mine was mounted in the upper hole but I want to double check that it was correct since someone else worked on it before me. Thanks!!

they come from the factory mounted in the upper holes. usually get moved to lower holes for better ground clearance for running boards in powder.

Thanks Maim,
Will that negatively affect my track approach angle? I'm new to mountain riding but some people have told me not to lower it for that reason.

on the sleds i have done it to, i has not affected the climb out that i noticed but not usually dealing with as much snow. i did lower on both sets of holes though.

Approach angle is largely controlled by the front mount. The lower center mount is just to keep the geometry right when using the lower sets of holes on the rear mount. What lowering the rear can do is cause more ski pressure. However, the benefits on this sled usually outweigh any negative affects. A different skid that has good transfer in this sled makes a huge difference.

You guys rock - thanks for all the help! Ding, is there a recommended skid that transfers well for this sled? I've heard of guys using other makes (arctic cat for instance) of skids because they are lighter etc.

There are many good skids today that will work well. Most of the other vendor skids transfer better than this one. I run a 2009 Nytro XTX skid in my Viper but I upgraded with the Star Suspensions kit and now have great transfer. If I did another one, I would likely go with one of the other vendor skids instead. Pros and Cons to each one though.

Back