Here's a challenge... the redneck backwoods garage

Toboggan

So you've just arrived at the redneck backwoods garage and this is tonight's challenge. I have this trailing arm "dampener" (looks like a bushing to me) that belongs inside this trailing arm. That sounds easy right? With all new parts? Well, here at the redneck backwoods garage nothing is easy and seldom goes right but, we try. So you have no air tools and no shop press. We have several things that might work or could be dangerous and cause damage, definitely fun to watch. Think basic hand tools, big hammers, and wd40. Here is a photo. Any ideas? Go!

20160209_183214.jpg

Last edited:

How do I install that dampener with no shop press and no air tools? I'm guessing I will have to take this to a shop to be pressed in. Can anyone confirm this or have any ideas?

Last edited:
Got a bottle jack? If not any jack should work. Put the trailing arm under something very heavy (truck), place bushing in position, place jack on bushing, jack up on something heavy (could put blocks of wood above and below trailing arm to protect paint).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I do own a floor jack and a Ford F250. That might work! I have a 27 ton log splitter too but I'm still thinking about that one...

Last edited:
piece of wood, socket and a c clamp (or vise). did the whole rear linkage and swing arm bearings on my 06 yz with nothing more than those tools right there. oh and a case of beer...

Last edited:
pretty easy long bolt couple flat washers
put the assembly together and tighten the bolt and nut , little wd40 for some lube should pop the bushing back in place

Done this many times. Use your jack and your trailer hitch on your truck. Be careful. Wear proper redneck safety equipment. Don't spill your beer etc...

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

OK so I tried the bolt and washer trick and that didn't happen. I tried my bench vice and that didn't happen. The hammer and socket was entertaining and I didn't get hurt or break a window but again didn't happen. I'm guessing the truck and trailer hitch is the next episode. I'm using aftermarket SPI trailing arms. Has anyone had problems with them? The dampener is getting scored a bit and I have cleaned it up with a Dremel tool but I can't even get it stuck in there!

I'll just get them pressed at a shop. I will need ALL my fingers to put the arms back on! Thanks guys! Great ideas that probably all work if done anywhere else but here at the redneck backwoods garage!

Last edited:
Just how much of an interference fit is it ? If it's more than a 1/8 ", I'd rethink this lol.

Seriously though, have you measured the bushing,and the trailing arm ? Just to verify the correct parts are being used. Good luck

Well... I never measured the clearance but I assure you she was tighter than a you fill in the blank. The local shop pressed them in perfectly in 10 minutes for a $10 bill and that is the best way I have found so far for installing them. I installed the new arms, new woodys carbides, new sliders, and a rear axle wheel. Now the sled is the most terrifying thing I have ever ridden. The alignment of the track and skis are not right at all. At 30mph it's got a mind of it's own and you are just hanging on. I went much faster than that until it started jumping side to side on one ski at a time. @$!# I'm going to need help with this.... I've got the manual. It says go to the dealer ;)

Put the bushing in the freezer for a couple hours. Use your garage heater or heat gun (hair dryet) to warm up the end of the arm. Then use the bench vise again to put together. Should almost fall together. Make sure you clean the burrs off the pieces you've already made. Good luck.

Back