Loose wires with small quick connect under hood?

DJ Hennessy

Hi,

I'm just putting my sled back together after doing an oil change and bushings. I found a black wire and a red wire with a small quick connect on the end that is flat, about 1/4" wide by maybe an 1/8 thick. It coming from the main grouping of wires that connect the headlights and dash to the sled... I don't remember disconnecting this wire when I took it apart, its in none of my pics I took while doing it, and I can't figure it out from the schematics that come in the manuals... Can anyone help me figure out where this goes? I can't find a fitting for it, I took the entire front apart again and found nothing? It reaches from the left side of the sled over to the right side no problem but nothing over there... I'm stumped!

Has reverse and works no issue... alarm works as well. It almost reaches that far though, but not quite... I was thinking it may have something to do with the coolant, but don't see any open connections... all the sensors seem to be plug in there and the connection on the end of this wire doesn't look like a sensor connection, more like a power jump to something low voltage?

You failed to mention what sled? On most yamahas, any wire with thats red or mainly red originates from the regulator or rectifier. Black is always a ground. 4 stroke or 2 stroke usually doesnt matter. To have a dedicated plug with a solid red, most likely its a provision for an accessory like passenger hand warmer or along those lines.

Snowdad4:
Sorry, It's a 2006 Apex RTX. That was my other thought that possibly it was for an accessory for something I don't have or was removed from previous owner...?

Ahhh, if I see them pics right and the wires you mention go into the blue connectors, that aint factory Yamaha. That's "backyard factory" with 3M or 3M-type quickeeee connectors. You can check your factory wiring diagram for the wires the connectors are clipped onto, make sure that circuit can handle the load if you try to use the non-factory wiring for anything.

Back