Floats on the viper what's involved

Youllbe2nd

I'm thinking that since I haven't been riding once this year and at this point I don't plan to, that I may take this project to the next level. What exactly is involved when installing floats on the 02 viper? Is there a specific model of float I need to find? Other front shock options? Also going to be swapping the skid out to something else. Not sure what yet. There's a few sets of floats kicking around my area in the 400-500$ range. One set is from a cat 18.5" long I believe. Thanks

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Youl need sx/srx shock mounts and for shocks that long you need to raise mounting point. Imo floats are over hyped and not that good without the extra chambers. For that kind of money you can get factory shocks revalved and resprung exactly how you want.

Youl need sx/srx shock mounts and for shocks that long you need to raise mounting point. Imo floats are over hyped and not that good without the extra chambers. For that kind of money you can get factory shocks revalved and resprung exactly how you want.
Ok that's good to know. I like how easy they are to rebuild though. And for like 6$ a shock. That's pretty awesome.

So how long can I go and keep the stock mounting point?

Ok that's good to know. I like how easy they are to rebuild though. And for like 6$ a shock. That's pretty awesome.

So how long can I go and keep the stock mounting point?

Your tie rods hitting the chassis will be limiting factor. You can put spacers undee them but i wouldnt go more than half inch. Id say around 16" with stock sx mounts but the shock travel will be a factor too.

Your tie rods hitting the chassis will be limiting factor. You can put spacers undee them but i wouldnt go more than half inch. Id say around 16" with stock sx mounts but the shock travel will be a factor too.
Ok I see thanks for the info. I'll look into revalving the stockers too. Any other shock options I should consider?

to put fox floats on, change out the front cast section for a srx one, this gives the space to bolt the shock in with brackets. I have made a couple sets for people to do this. The best length is from a phazer, think they were 16in but ones from a apex/vector work as well but are a little long and the tie rods can hit when the front end is up and bars are turned. The best cure for this is to install a rack steering system from a polaris or sliding style like skidoo used back in the early 2000 sleds. This helps your bump steer out as well.

check out musslemans srx, he has this style front steering. he is using some very long shocks as I remember
Yeah actually I went through his whole build thread last night and its what got me on the idea. What a sweet rig he's got there

Back