03 Viper E/R Sled dies at idle.... Just replaced stator and pickup coil.....

hereismylife

Website
www.hereismylife.com
Sled was running good till stator went bad. Recharged battery. Waiting for stator to get here. They sent me stator and pickup. Started fine. Voltage slowly goes up when rev. Leave it idle for 2 seconds and just shuts off. If you hold the throttle a little then it will stay running. No miss or anything. Starts right up. Still did not see over 13.5 volts.

Only say 1 week. Battery charger. Guages work. Have lights. No running.

Ohmed the pick up coil and was getting 224.

The other sled we have is a 01 sxr 700. We tested that since it was right beside it and it tested at 194.

Last edited:

is it a Yamaha stator, or aftermarket?

what rpm will it idle at when you hold the throttle slightly? is the guage unit flashing when running?

wrong resistance on pick up coil, buy a oem Yamaha stator and replace that one,send that back. they used a cheap aftermarket pick up coil.

that's why you use the stock oem stuff the aftermarket stuff is junk! the stock oem has a built in locator on the bracket!

Gap should be .025 to .030. It does not create enough volts to ecu. Drilled holes oval shape and set at .028 and idles now. Oem are set with divets on back of then and aftermarket don't have them. We started at .060 gap and got it moved in.

I always like to check air gap anyway. I use folds of paper - start with too much (won't fit) and then move down to right thickness (should just go on).

Back