Warm helmet??? Is there such a thing?

Shanenims

Life Member
I was riding this past weekend in Cadillac, MI and weather got best of my face. I'm currently using a Gmax GM54S with a heated shield. When I'm riding it feels like the vents are open and get a breeze. I even taped up where the visor comes down thinking this is where leak was. No luck. I have a few friends that run Gmax's as well and they have the same issue. Wanting some advice with on purchasing a new helmet. Thank Shane

A friend was using a gmax, I told him he needs to get a BRP bv2s. He said his gmax was great, didn't need a different helmet. He tried one of our bv2s and bought one as soon as he got back! They are awesome. ..no wind what so ever.

Depends on your budget. I've had great luck with the hjc models in the 300$ range. Light weight and warm. Mine is 4 years old now. It's called an IS-16 and they still make it. Very light. Great venting. Hjc has made the visors alot better on the newer models compared to the old style. I upgraded mine last year to the heated shield. It has a built in sunvisor which personally I find useless when sledding. Works great on the bike though.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

What size do you where? I have a CKX TRANZ RSV if you want to check it out. Probably wont fit good but you can at least look at it if you want. It was nice except it was a little too small for me. It is now a loaner kids helmet.

I run an hjc cs-r2 on the trails. I've never had issues being cold I normally end up opening at least the top vents when my hair gets sweaty. They have a heated shield option for it too.

modular 2 or bv2, skidoo has the superior helmets. I have had all of them and am torn between these two. for utmost warmth, -20 riding, low windshield, I have done it, the bvs is the warmest helmet of the two. I like the modular 2 for the black shield instead of yellow and the flip up instead of flip out face. bvs has a nice light in the back for night riding and the wind protection under the chin works better than the mod 2. If I could combine the features of both into one helmet, I would pay 500 for the thing.

Yes the one I have is modular...only thing I was leary about in the skidoo helmets were the disposable pads. Sounds like they are nice helmets. Better be for the prices I just saw:-)

My first one, that came out the first year, I believe I got it in 99 had many issues with air. I added many foam pieces and scraped this and that to get it to seal correctly. Cost about 325 i think. At the time, i was laughed at for buying it. while others removed their helmets to move their sleds around, or dig out when stuck, I just left mine on, no issues with fogging ever. Never used a heated shield on the first one I had. after about 3-4 years, I bought a used 1 year old one, same style without all the bomabadier stuff on it. solid black. had to do nothing to that to make it tight. Sold the old one to a friend for 150 and bought the used for 200. used it for a few years and sold it for 200 and bought a new modular 2 when they came out. Loved the helmet when compared to the first versions, better vision, latch worked better, and the helmet looked better (you can buy a dash emblem for a 03 venture to replace the brp one in front) used that for a few years and sold it. Now I have bvs2 and I love the warmth. Its about a ten year old helmet and everything works great.
I would say don't worry about the filters. I have never used them after the first one. Just a place for water to collect. I just flip the face mask out once in a while and dump it or it runs into your coat. It isn't much water and you don't have to f with it.

I have owned a gmax for a short stint in there as well and broke it almost imediately. It is now my loaner with black tape over some vents. It is a shitty helmet from the start and very cold. liked the built in glasses like the brp helemts.

i run a hjc cl-max and did not have a problem on sat at -40c/f. gf runs the II and likes it.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Looks like I'm going with the bvs2. Do u need the heated visor, is it needed in this helmet? I've always ran one.

I have used them since 99 and have not used one. there has only been a couple times where freezing rain was an issue

I have used them since 99 and have not used one. there has only been a couple times where freezing rain was an issue
I've found even heated visor can't beat the freezing rain. I tried a brp two years ago and it was reeeeeeally nice. Agreed no need for heated shield at all.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

There are BV2Ss electrics, on ebay for 350ish....hell of a deal

forgot to mention, you should try on someones first. they run a couple sizes smaller than other helmets. Forget what mine is now, but I am average size in everything and took a xxxl for my first helmet. The first year was a nightmare for dealers, It was hard to find one and I had my wife drive two hours away for one.

Back