01 srx new belt squeal?

JeepJimmy

2001 srx 700. just replaced the drive belt with a new one from yamaha. seems its a updated part number then what it was originally. i have a squeal at idle. and a slight squeal slipping noise off idle pulling away. the old belt never ever did this. any ideas? thanks in advance!

I think I read on a topic post here somewhere that the new 01-00 belt is a fraction wider than the old 00-00 one,so that would explain your squeal.Do what couple of bucks said and take the deflection adjuster washers out from under the 3 bolts on the back side of the secondary and it should give you the needed slack so you have the recommended belt height.

when youi have the bolts out to remove washers check the tips to see how worn they have become.

IF you pull the secondary apart there is a plate between them held on with 3 screws, that plate gets dimpled after a while from the crews rubbing on it, remove the screws and flip the plate over.

i think the 00-01 belt is a softer belt as well. Might be the opposite but could be the reason for your squeal when your off idle slip you are seeing.

Back