It is the carb? Tors? Something else? 2004 Yamaha SX Viper Mountain

DCM5150

Let's start off with the fact that I know very little about carbs and snowmobile repair.

Here are the symptoms (2004 Yamaha SX Viper Mountain):

Cold sled: start easily, but a lot of smoke. Will not idle with the throttle released. If throttle is slightly engaged it will run/idle

Didn't seem to be running well at lower speeds for a little while then started to run great. Took off on the low end, and seemed to run properly up to the top end.

At one point, I started to notice that the orange light would start to blink at high (8000-9000?) RPM, however, I could not get any count/timing as I could not look at the lights and count them at those speeds/rpms.

I ran for a while (maybe an hour), never letting it shut off as it would not idle. Then I finally did and it started up again fine. A few minutes later I let it shut down again and it refused to start. Ending up towing it. Got back and was able to start it again but didn't head out not wanting to get stuck again.

One guy I road with says the carbs need cleaned. One message I read had similar symptoms about not idling and said it was due to the tors switch.

Everywhere I read seems to say that cleaning the carbs is easy, but looking at them and the repair manual it seems a bit more than I could handle without some assistance.

Is it possible I have a TORS issue (along with carbs that need cleaned)? How do I test the TORS system?

It doesn't sound like the TORS.

It indeed sounds like plugged pilot jets and/or air jets.

1. Go to the TY Tech pages (button upper right of this page) and select Snowmobile Tech
  2. Then select Engine
  3. Down the list maybe 20 - 25 items you will find some Carb Cleaning links
  4. All are good reads, but the Carb Cleaning 101 by MrViper is very detailed and has pictures (great for newbies as well as a refresher)

I could have just pasted the link, but following the links will likely prove useful in the future as you get a glimpse of the wealth of information on this site that has come from many years and many members.

Last edited:
Ok. There's also a thread in the tech section explaining how to clean the tors switch. Do this while your carbs are out. Also while you have them out I would check the reeds. Pull the carb boots and coils off and have a look at the petals on the reed cage. Post pics of your plugs...what color is the smoke?

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Clean the carbs!! Got me worried about the light, can you check compression? It was most likely the DCS, I would not suspect TORS.

If you clean the carbs and it still won't idle there's a chance that for some reason the idle speed adjustment got turned down. The rack carbs make idle adjustment nice and easy because all 3 adjust together with one screw. If you need to turn it up feather the throttle to keep it running and turn the screw until when you let off it will stay running. Once it is finally at operating temp you can set the idle. Once you get the idle set adjust the slack in the throttle cable then the oil pump cable. I would clean the carbs first though as this might just cover a problem.

Back