Track Swap help? How best to proceed for Venture 600 Long Track

tripplec

Well I decided to keep my current Venture 600 which I was constantly getting stuck with and cannot lift up to get out of the jam. I picked up a like new Ripsaw 1.25" track which some edge lug damage but 80% at least is like new. I haven't pulled a suspension nor done a track change on any of my previous sleds. Therefore any pointers machine specific would be hugely appreciated !!! I plan to do it in the spring on a nice day raising the rear up via a come-along to work under it. The guy I got it from said its not that hard and I'd have to move the chain case out (somehow) enough to get the track over the drive shaft. Yeah easy with words but I'll see. I am going to replace the hyfax while I am at it then I am done with it.

No pointers would be a presumption especially from those who have worked on this sled and its suspension.

There are a couple write-ups in the Tech pages, and numerous posts in the forums that I have even contributed to myself. (yikes)

I would plan to replace driveshaft and chaincase bearings at the same time. You will have it apart already anyway. It is easiest to simply pull the chaincase, and that way you are sure everything gets put back in the right location. Check your axle and rebuild anything that needs it on the skid, bearings, bushings, wheels, etc.

If you have room to store it disassembled I suggest pulling the skid and yanking the chaincase and drive axle. That way you can create a list of parts you need and only buy what you need in one package and thus likely spend the least. You can then wait patiently for the parts to arrive.

I had a look in the Tech section and only a few threads, nothing on tracks etc. Turks Tech section has some info but very generalized. Is there another area with threads. Nothing came up in a search other that those areas after looking directly.

I had a look which wasn't easy to find near the right side of the page (right of TY Home). Anyway, exploded part breakout of a chain case is scary on one. Nothing family specific and I notice in one thread about installing reverse (I didn't know it could be done) but I have reverse on the Venture.

There is no mention of what gear oil goes in EG GL5 75W80 synthetic etc. All it says as well as the service PDF manual I have is "Yamaha Gear Oil". LOL

I asked my mechanic who did my engine and he'll have a look when I am ready. Currently I don't have enough info nor see it. I found more on YOUTUBE video although not Yamaha or Venture related.

Any good gear oil is fine, 8.5 oz standard, little less for reverse. start with 8 and add till full. I use mobile one 90w, key is changing it. As far as skid and track change yes it is a bit much to take in but once into it not bad. Id never done it either untill you dive in and the write ups in tech section are spot on. Removing skid http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/replacing_your _suspension.htm is not bad with a extra pair of hands. Remove the mounting bolts, 3 on each side then lift up rear and jimmy that skid out. Make sure you loosen rear wheels all the way, axle and adjusters. Then under tunnel at clutch side drive shaft is the bearing collar with 2 start bits #25. Start spraying that area a day or 2 before with some good oil i like pb blaster. These can rust up at times. Then http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/replacing_track.htm Dont worry about chain case. Its fine just lay out parts on cardboard and number in order. Lots of pics and you will have no problem. That breakdown goes into way more detail then what your going to do. Really its just 2 gears, a chain, and adjuster. So after you get speedo housing off and drive bearing off the rest is down hill. Now big tip to make this easy for you is to remove secondary clutch and unbolt that jackshaft bearing. This will alow you to just slide whole chaincase, break rotor (must remove caliper, 2 bolts) jackshaft over far enough once case is unbolted from frame out of way to be able to slide drive shaft over and out. Does not need to come out. This way your not messing with ebrake and roter ect. Then just put back in reverse. For getting skid in easier i use those old flat magic carpet snow sleds. Lay them on inside bottom of track and it makes it easy to slide skid in over the inside lugs. SOme guys use dowels, old slides ect. Key is somthing to keep boggies from hanging up on lugs. Take your time and dont get frustrated. First time i took 2 days to do this just taking my time. Now i can change a track in less then an hour. Search track change and chaincase. Losts of good pics and posts. Here is a project viper i did for my daughter years ago. Lots of good pics of chain case and inside, track out ect...... All Proation drives and chain cases are the same. They will look exactly like my viper so follow the directions above and ask when stuck and you will be fine. The reverse Is the same and installing reverse post will help getting that back together. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Reverse/NonRX1install.htm.

@super1c

I see, thats great info. Some think I might need to change bearings. At the moment there is not trouble with them. As I will be doing this after the winter time is not critical. But and a big but I don't like to leave things apart. Memory fades and assemble becomes a guess work puzzle. Other than the slides which appear to be much thicker (according to the Royal Distribution parts page) than other there was nothing else I plan to order in advance.

I'll give it a good look over and see if anything is shot or worn as best I can before taking it apart. If I see something I'll get it in first so as its on hand.

As for the gear oil is that a straight grade you mentioned?? 90W " & not a 75W90 GL5 ??? I don't like to assume.

i reccomend getting the bushings for the skid as they will have play in them and it is a good time to do it. i know i have to do the w arm bushings on our pro action skids every couple of seasons unless i add grease fittings to the rail mounts.

If you are worried about forgetting how it goes together take a picture after every thing you take off and save the pics somewhere. I have done that for some fairly complicated things and works out well for me. Generally don't even have extra parts this way lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ok, Winter will be here and check with a few mechanics on swapping the track. Bearings was recommended but can't find them on Royal Distributing due to description of the kit uncertainty.

How long should it take to Re & Re a track and install new Hyfax while the skid is out for a mechanic!! I know the skid should not take long coming out. In is of course 2-3 times longer it seems. It would likely take me much longer whatever that is.

Thx

I changed the track in my wife's xtc in about three hours maybe four. That was with teaching my wife about her sled at the same time and getting her pulling the wrenches. It looks like more work than it really is.
Lift the back of the sled up. Take the six bolts for the rear skid out. Pull out the skid(easier if you loosen the track off first. I have also done it with taking out the rear wheels). Take off the secondary clutch, remove the speedo cable. Take off the cover for the drive shaft. From inside the tunnel find and loosen the collar on the bearing(two small Allen). Nice to the other side, remove the exhaust muffler. Remove the battery and tray. Take the chain case cover off. Take a picture. Pull off the bottom gear with the spring. I play out all the parts in order I take them off to aid in reassemble. Pull off the reverse gears. Don't lose the small spring in between them. Remove the chain. Next you can either pull off the top gear, or loosen the back shaft from the other side to allow the case to move. Either way works. Take the clip off the bearing for the drive shaft. Take the four bolts that mount the chain case to the frame. There are two bolts that mount to brackets near the brakes. Take them out. Leave the caliper on, there is enough brake hose to allow movement. Then gently wiggle the case away from the frame. The shaft should come out of the case. You only need to move it far enough to get the shaft out. Old track out, new track in. Then reverse order to put it back together.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Hopefully I didn't miss a step. Some might do it a little different.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back