Running board options for SXViper Mountain... are there any?

Bronc_twister

I've been looking into this and haven't really found anything that says it fits. Want something wider and not full taper like the stock ones. I've looked at snow eliminators and we've thought of cutting the boards off a REV tunnel and putting them in. Castle Sledder isn't making their add on boards anymore (at least for the viper).

Last edited:

The old Rox Sledtreads with Flares worked pretty good. If you have the time and money, I always wanted to move the coolers to the top of the tunnel, or use a different cooler and strap on some open boards that allows snow to drop through like many newer sleds. This is a pain in deep snow, keeping the boards cleaned off.

I used the wrp mountain tuff inserts from a old school phazer on my mtn max. They are the correct taper but need to be shortened one cleat and trimmed a little at the front. I ground flat the punched running board holes and used a trim tool with a joint knife slid between the board and cooler to protect the cooler. The snow falls in direct contact with the cooler and it melts pretty fast. I have a row of self tapping screws up the running board roll for grip. Wide board look cool but the snow drag sucks. Narrow tapered board are better for a number of reasons.

Thanks guys. Ding- yeah the boards are a pain in deep snow... (Yamaha's running boards sucked for a long time). We'do like to somehow relocate the coolers too. Their in a pretty vulnerable area on a mountain sled anyway. Backwoods Max- I can understand some advantages to a narrow full taper board but changing positions on the sled only to slip or totally miss the board isn't one of them obviously. That coupled with snow and ice buildup makes it even worse. I would prefer wider boards... not for looks near as much as function. I guess I could just put a tether on it for when I inevitably get bucked off or fall off it again... and hope for the best.
I don't think Rox makes the sledtreads anymore. They have several differnent sizes of add on grip strips.

Last edited:
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...Fall-Project)-Longtracking-mountain-max/page3
Post #24

When I ride I have a 2" plastic scraper and folding saw hanging off my backpack straps on karibeaners. I found the snow/ice/slipping problem is almost non existent now. I have always found the right running board builds more snow than the left. This summer I'm going to wrap one of those flexible plastic cutting boards around the rear tunnel cool then rivet it back on to try and reduce its effectiveness. The left board and rear cooler do such a good job the right foot well is too cold to melt the snow fast. I'm also hoping that keeping the heat off the tunnel will reduce ice build up back there as well.

A mod for the stock boards is to roll out the edges and put cat (or others) edges onto them.

No, it will not, you could put many, many screws in there without a fatigue concern. Your mtn viper should have the additional oem grip strips on the edge of the running boards from the factory.

Are you trying to make more room for your feet, gain snow evacuation, or add traction? Lots of possibilities depending what your trying to achieve.

No, it will not, you could put many, many screws in there without a fatigue concern. Your mtn viper should have the additional oem grip strips on the edge of the running boards from the factory.

Are you trying to make more room for your feet, gain snow evacuation, or add traction? Lots of possibilities depending what your trying to achieve.
It does have the oem grip strips. I'm just gonna do it to add traction. I'd like some wider boards that weren't full taper, evacuated snow, and added traction. I'd also like to put the running board coolers up in the tunnel later on but it doesn't really look doable with the factory tunnel. I can see where the 151x2" track has rubbed up at the front of the tunnel. Maybe an aftermarket tunnel and or some modding of coolers or different coolers would do the trick though.

Back