'05 Mtn. Viper ProMountain skid into the '03 Mtn.Viper... NOT fitting

Bronc_twister

It looks like the we're gonna have to take the front part of the suspension arm out of the Proaction skid and put it into the ProMountain skid. Any tips or secrets? We wound up putting Snow Eliminators on the boards and some running board edges for a Polaris.

The pro mtn uses different mount points. Thats what you need to reconfigure, not swapping arms as you would be adding parts that most likely wont work once your done.

You need the mount points from the donor sled. They only vary slightly, but I cant find my notes with the dimensions. Your swapping 144 for 144 correct? Not using a rx 151 skid with tipped up rails?

PM'ed ya. Yah don't swap arms, just swap mount brackets and outside backers. Get the location precise so the skid works right.

We got it figured out

PM'ed ya. Yah don't swap arms, just swap mount brackets and outside backers. Get the location precise so the skid works right.

That's what we wound up doing. My Doo buddy's (who are pretty handy and more mechanically inclined than I) were pretty irritated at first and scratching their heads. I wasn't there when they did it but they went to the '05 and figured it out. The other week we weighed the two skids separately. The ProAction skid with all the idler wheels removed (except for the front ones, and the back axle ones) was like 73 or 74 pounds I believe. We had also removed the inner axle toward the back with the two wheels that mounts between the rails. The ProMountain skid in the same sort of configuration was 4 to 6 lbs lighter I believe.
We had to take the front shock from the ProAction skid and put it in the ProMountain one as the one that was in the ProMountain was dented, a lil bent, and leaking oil. We also had to remove one shaft between the rails and straighten it in a press because it was bent. Hoping the ProMountain skid will make the sled climb better and just perform better all over. I'm running a 151x2" track and the '05 had the exact same track.

If that skid was the 151 with tipped up rails from the rx mtn, that center shock will have a different spring and valving than your original from the 03 mtn viper. The pro-mtn skids had about 1" more travel and on that 151 skid in particular, yamaha used a softer spring along with a higher preload setting to get the rx up on the rear of the skid to lift the front.

I would be curious to see how all that pans out for you based on the weight differences between the two machines and the design factor.
Bet that new skid works out well in your viper. I have only done the 144 swaps with rail extensions, and the 144 pro mtn used a different front shock even yet.

It was from an '05 Mtn. Viper

If that skid was the 151 with tipped up rails from the rx mtn, that center shock will have a different spring and valving than your original from the 03 mtn viper. The pro-mtn skids had about 1" more travel and on that 151 skid in particular, yamaha used a softer spring along with a higher preload setting to get the rx up on the rear of the skid to lift the front.

I would be curious to see how all that pans out for you based on the weight differences between the two machines and the design factor.
Bet that new skid works out well in your viper. I have only done the 144 swaps with rail extensions, and the 144 pro mtn used a different front shock even yet.
I bought it for parts (grenaded engine) and it was in really nice shape. It doesn't have tipped up rails and is a 144 skid with Hartman extensions. The proaction skid out of my 03 is a 144 as well with somebody else's extensions. Thanks to all of you for the insight and help by the way!

Last edited:

Back