1981srx

SRXfromHELL

can anyone give me info on the 1981 srx
specs , links anything !
just bought it a week ago and any help you folks could give me would be
helpful

Hey there north central PA, grettings from south central PA! I can give you quite a bit of info on the 1981' SRX and I can put you in touch with others who know some stuff about them as well.

First things first, you did not buy one of Yamaha's finest engineering feats. The 81' SRX was a bit of a sore spot that most Yamaha brass and dealers (heck, even some of the owners in the day) would rather forget. To say it was a bit troublesome is an understatement. One only needs to puruse the service bulletins listed under the models microfiche to realize that this girl had quite a few "issues" in her day.

At this point the 81' is relatively overlooked in the vintage scene. Interest in this machine is growing, but it does not have anywhere near the enthusiasm that its 76-80' brothers generate. While a super cherry 600 mile original just brought $2600 on ebay, most complete, running originals are typically in the $400-$900 range depending heavily on condition and retention of original equipment. The ebay sale in question was very non-typical and may not have even been legit.

If you can get some pictures posted we can take a look and see if yours still has the original engine and carbs. MANY do not! For starters, your looking for the 8M6 prefix on the chassis and engine. Sometimes people think they have an 81' and actually have an earlier SRX or even a later V-MAX.

Is this what your sled looks like?

DSC02207.jpg

Get back to me and we will dig deeper into the 81'. ;)!

COOL
I PMed you with all the info I know about the sled . yes it looks just like yours but with a few more battle scars chassis #8m6-000486 , round slid carbs and if my math is correct 68.5mm bore 64mm stroke 473cc now . 1289 miles on the odometer
thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• Feb07^08.jpg
    Feb07^08.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Feb07^03.jpg
    Feb07^03.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
81 Srx

If you need any parts let me know...i have one i am parting out...Sled is complete but has a bad motor

Back