Phazer II Wide Body. In Need For a Build

Sean Allen McKay

Hey all! I will be at a stand still soon here with my 90 phazer all because my pipe won't fit. What I'm doing is swapping a Liberty 700 into it. I've cut some things to make the motor good enough to my eyecrometer. But the pipe after the bend (basically the belly of the pipe) is over the the strut lol. I thought about using a dead blow and making it fit. But I don't want to deform it too much. Soooo getting to my point, I think I should utilize a widening kit for the front end. Does anyone happen to have a new old stock, or blueprints to make one? I just want more room up front so I don't have to bang up the pipe too much. Many people are doubting me with this swap. But I've always wanted to do this for many years to a phazer. Any info on how I can directly get my hands on a wide kit (or plans to make one) would be awesome. Thanks!

i would not even use a Phazer chassis for the swap buy the time you cut the bracing on the right side to clear the recoil the bulkhead will be junk!!!! better off using a exciter chassis it will make things much easier .............pipe wise might have to have a single custom built i know Aaen will do it

Well I've already cut the frame to clear the recoil and stuff. But I've made plans on reinforcing what I removed. A lot of people have told me to not even bother with the phazer chassis and to use an exciter chassis. But I just like the phazer, specifically the '90 model. I also have heat exchangers to install.

But in order for me to align the clutches I'll have to widen the front end. The primary is already a few centimetres away front the tss, and needs to move more. Like up to 2.5-3 inches more. I almost have my pipe issue figured out too.

So would anyone have info in making a wide kit for the front? Or like blueprints or something. I'm assuming since I've already hacked up the frame, I'm basically stuck to doing this now. Help would be appreciated..

If your able to keep the stock clutch C to C I dont see why you would have to widen the front end. Especially 2 to 3 inches?

I am going by memory and it was 20 years ago but it is easy to just move the struts out. I removed all plastic cut the pipe around 2 or 3 inches in from the outside.

Used a front end off a exciter 2 I think with longer steering arms but if you cut the pipe longer off another sled and put a pipe inside when you reattach leave a 1/2 inch gap and weld it back together.
If you are a good welder you could allways cut your frontend slide a pipe inside and a coller and weld both sides around the coller.

This wont help with the width of your side panels and I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

Way back when, there was a guy in the Litchfield, Mn area who made the widening kits for the gen 1 pz's. Rick or Jack Johannsen or something like that. Seems like a re-vamped exciter hood along with widened out side panels. Not sure how these would work on the gen 2 pz's as those were wider than the gen 1's, but you may research the guy and see what you come up with. I have some leftover parts that he made, but its been awhile and I am not sure where they are or how the install went.

center to center should be 10.5 " with 8DN wide belt to fit the P-85 primary then run a 95 vmax secondary ..... for widening the front ends (which i have done more than a few times over the years) you make to scratch lines on the front tube to keep your caster angle the same when welding back on .... cut the strut end off just inside the steering stop ...then use double wall pipe for your widening kit and make sure it slides in to the main cross tube at least 4'' the last one i did was about 6 years ago and i machined the pipe so that after it was welded you could not really see the extensions but if i remember right it was 5/16'' thick ....for steering i just cut and sleeved the steering rods in the center ... the length all depends on the how much wider you go

I don't have enough room for clutch alignment, as the Polaris clutch is like an inch or two longer than the Yamaha clutch. Plus the Polaris engine has the ring gear for the starter (which I plan on retaining). I did think about cutting the tube that the tss is attached to. Just widening it a couple inches though. Other option would be shortening the jackshaft and making it clear the tunnel. Basically moving the secondary in towards the tunnel. Wide body would be cooler though. As the engine sits, I need to move it about 2" more into the tss... Obviously there's interference. Sorry guys that my replies are distant.

Your better off to find another fan cooled moter for the phazor if that's what you want.All the time and rivots to make a fan cooled sled into water cooled with a different brand moter that's too light of a frame to begin with is going to give anyone problems. Pull up on the belt on the secondary and see what happens to that clearance.

As said a exciter chassis with a phazor 2 paint job \your plastic\ seat whatever is the way to go.

I would align the clutches to the stock jack shaft location. A p-85 should clear the hood...it may be tight, but it should clear then cut and roll the pipe to make it fit.....Thats all I have for you besides telling you to use an Exciter chassis.

The later years Phazer had a wider stance if that would work for you - was it 1985 or 86 and up? The difference can be seen on them, there is a gap between the strut cans and the plastic panels. Possibly you could find a frame or a crossmember to switch with yours. There were not a lot of them around by then though.

Last edited:
The later years Phazer had a wider stance if that would work for you - was it 1985 or 86 and up? The difference can be seen on them, there is a gap between the strut cans and the plastic panels. Possibly you could find a frame or a crossmember to switch with yours. There were not a lot of them around by then though.

It is 1990 and up that had the wider stance.

It was late - what I meant to print was 1995-96. I looked it up and it was in 1996 that the ski stance was widened to 38.6. From 1990 to 95 it was 36.2 - so only a little more than an inch difference where the clearance is needed.

even with the wider front end it will not give you more room as your side panels still mount in the same place like throttle junkie said use a 8DN belt with 95 vmax secondary or 92 or newer secondary from a ex or PZ and set center to center at 10.45'' with polaris primary

Sorry I'm always so late on replies haha. But my phazer is a 1990. And I can see what Nutz is saying about how the panels will still be in the way. I guess the only issue with running an exciter or vmax clutch is will it hold up to the power of the Liberty 700?

I don't think using an exciter will work any better than a phazer frame because the pogos are the same distance apart on both sleds. If the clutches from a vmax/exciter will be strong enough, I'll be willing to try it.

I would still like to widen the sled. I have found a write-up on how to do it, I'm just unable to work on the sled because of time and space are not in my favor.

Thank you all to who has replied, and I'd appreciate it if the replies keep coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Yamaha clutches can take a ton of HP. The Polaris liberty 700 is a mouse compared to what I have seen the yami clutches on. The Exciter bulk head is different than the Phazer. Both sides of the bulkhead on an Exciter are like the left side of a Phazer. It makes it easier to do a motor swap and fit a pipe.

Back