stator issues

yammynutz

Hello fellow srx junkies. I just purchased a 2000 srx 700 and the guy I got it from says that he is tired of replacing the stator every year. Seems he puts a new one in and the sled runs fabulous for the winter. He stores it and come the next fall when he goes to start it the stator is shot and needs replacing. Any ideas or someone who has experienced the same problem. Would much appreciate any help on this. Cheers:o|

Are these aftermarket or Yamaha stators he was using? The pickup coils on the aftermarkets are junk in my opinion.

Are these aftermarket or Yamaha stators he was using? The pickup coils on the aftermarkets are junk in my opinion.
I am assuming they are oem. I really don't know for sure. I was wondering if it could be a voltage regulator or some other electrical part that is killing the stator. I will put a Yamaha one in for sure. guess it is trial and error. I believe your theory on aftermarket parts. Nothing beets oem. Thanks for the reply. cheers

i bought a 2000 srx brand new. still have it. original stator. this is not right here. makes no sense. no way these are yamaha stators unless he is installing them in wrong. or there is a huge short somewhere. 3:16x (yammie tony)

I've fought that battle several times on the 90's Arctic Cats. I've seen aftermarket stators test out bad when they were new out of the box.

Has it been confirmed that this is a "stator" failure? Storage in a humid location can cause rust on the flywheel which can cause a no spark/start problem? Chaffed wiring harness is another common issue to look for.

Thanks for all the lnfo. I believe it will be a harness rub through or an aftermarket stator or both. I know the dealer that serviced the sled and that is not their way of doing business. I would suggest that the guy I got it from cheeped out and went with an aftermarket stator. Will pull the motor and check all the wiring. cheers.

Back