New Project: 1997 Yamaha VMax 700 Triple

yvx.png

I circled the parts I was going to order. Not sure about the bearings, it looks like you need to pull the shaft to replace those and i'm not sure how to do that.
There is a circlip that you need to remove and the shaft should slide out.

This thing smokes a ton when under load. I moved it from my garage to the driveway to hose it off and my garage is still clearing out from the smoke.

Seems like it's burning a crapload of oil. Also the coolant I just replaced is now brown.

Can a leaking water pump seal cause this, or are there other issues?

This thing smokes a ton when under load. I moved it from my garage to the driveway to hose it off and my garage is still clearing out from the smoke.

Seems like it's burning a crapload of oil. Also the coolant I just replaced is now brown.

Can a leaking water pump seal cause this, or are there other issues?

Sounds like a head gasket is leaking

I'm starting to think that it's normal for a sled that has been sitting for so long. Oil in coolant I believe is from the water pump oil seal. I think after I fix that, throw some fresh gas in it (gas in tank is at least two years old) and run it for a while it'll be okay.

Cylinder 3 was washed from when the head gasket was leaking. I replaced those and that seemed to take care of the top end leak.

Destroyed the mechanical seal while trying to press it into the block. Had to order a new one. A shame since we're getting 6"+ worth of snow tonight.

Anyone have tips for installing the mechanical seal?

Finally some snow! I replaced the water pump mechanical seal and the associated parts. Used red threadlocker and new bolts/washers throughout.

I rode it for about 30 minutes today and the head temp was around 200 degrees (IR thermometer.) It runs great, and is fast. The last sled I rode was an Arctic Cat Z440, so this thing rips in comparison.

Things I noticed wrong:

1. speedo doesn't work.
2. smokey, especially at idle. Looks like blue smoke. I need to look into the oil pump cable adjustment
3. turning radius sucks
4. i wish it had electric start (took forever to start. 2-3 year old gas FTL)
5. i wish it had reverse

Anything else I should look out for? Seems like a solid sled and like I said, it runs good!

Finally got this thing running good. It's fast! Way faster than I expected.

Issues are:
1. Speedo and fuel gauge don't work. I moved the float up and down in the tank and the gauge still didn't move.
2. Smoke. Either the oil pump is stuck open or needs adjustment.
3. Idle is sporadic. Sometimes it idles great, other times it bogs down and the headlight and cluster lights start to dim. Easily fixed with a blip of the throttle.
4. Coolant temp sensor needs to be replaced. Can I hook a temp gauge up to this instead of using the dummy light?
5. No air filter or pre-filter to be found

My town allows street riding, I just don't want to get stranded so I'm hoping to fix the above before doing any off-property riding.

it's the speedometer key, goes into the drive axle, it's metal, kinda like a piece of speedometer cable, it will snap if the axle bearing goes bad. remove the speedo drive housing and you will see it.

Back