Old gas in SRX tank

destey

I have a 1999 SRX700 that wasn't started this past season, and only started the season before. So the gas is probably 3 years old. There's about 1 inch of liquid at the bottom of the tank that looks pretty bad. Is there anything short of pulling the tank out to get it clean? I pulled the carbs and they're clean, apparently no gas went in since I cleaned them out last year. But I'm also worried about the fuel lines and pump having crud in them. Is there any way to flush the lines? Looks like the only way the pump operates is from suction from the engine. Once I get the tank cleaned what if I leave the plugs off, and fuel lines going into a bucket and keep pulling the engine over (maybe with some fresh gas to purge)? Seems like that should cause the pump to pump.

I think you have the right idea, but can't say forsure whether it'll work or not. But definitely get rid of that old fuel!!

A bit labor intensive BUT, remove and clean tank completely then add fresh fuel. Leave fuel lines (to carbs) off and lay them in a shallow container. Using a small piece of fuel line, fill carb bowls with a small squeeze bottle of fresh fuel. "CAREFULLY" start motor and watch the crude come out of the lines, pump etc. Now at least you know the ENTIRE fuel system is CLEAN! Had to do this a few times on sleds that have sat WAY TOO LONG with old fuel.

I think you have the right idea, but can't say forsure whether it'll work or not. But definitely get rid of that old fuel!!

A bit labor intensive BUT, remove and clean tank completely then add fresh fuel. Leave fuel lines (to carbs) off and lay them in a shallow container. Using a small piece of fuel line, fill carb bowls with a small squeeze bottle of fresh fuel. "CAREFULLY" start motor and watch the crude come out of the lines, pump etc. Now at least you know the ENTIRE fuel system is CLEAN! Had to do this a few times on sleds that have sat WAY TOO LONG with old fuel.

I like it, going to try it!

Thanks guys!

Back