Primary/secondary compatibility ?'s

nick5oh

Are all yammy yxr/yvxr primary's and they're paired secondary's the same thing just different rollers/weights/springs/helix etc?
Example.....srx clutches the same as say a vmax, or viper, or sxr?
Thanks guys!

Some have set screws for the pins for the weights. Other then that was the short and tall covers. Change the rollers, springs and weight and you have your clutching in a new body.

the early and mid 90's vmax and others use a different size pin and roller and wont interchange with newer ones. If you get a clutch from say 97 and up they will interchange parts, basicly its the difference of long and short spring covers and the different size roller,and different clutch ramps and springs. The other thing that comes to mind is what the clutch comes off of if buying used, as there is some specific stationary sheaves for certain models like the vmax4, phazer, etc. As long as you check those couple things you can find or swap out a lot of componets.

yamaha made huge changes per/ model from the first pogo exciters in 1987 through the vmax 4 and on right up to the 4 strokes. i would not just find a yamaha primary off a who knows what year sled and through it on a lets say a 2002 viper. 3:16x (yammie tony)

This is all the info I was looking for guys thanks!
Sheaves are starting to get stress cracks on my primary right near the shaft. Want to buy the "right" parts the first time and may end up just buying new parts for it so I know it's all good. I will post some pics when I get a chance thanks again boys:)

Primary sliding sheave
8bv-17620-10-00 SRX
8bv-17620-02-00 vmax 500
Primary sheave cap
8df-17630-00-00 SRX
8bv-17630-10-00 vmax 500

Everything else I see between the primaries is the same except for those parts and the set screws for the weight pins

The set screws for the pins that go through the weights? Why are they on some sleds not others? I guess that's the only difference between my 99 SRX and the 99 vmax 500?
Obviously by the only difference I mean other than weights and possibly rollers and washers etc. but the main parts like the sheaves and spider and cap, are compatible I guess?

My 700 sx, had the set screws, I replaced it with a clutch that didnt have the set screws, not a big deal. Just switch over you weights, rollers and spring.

shaggy is right on.

I would reuse the srx clutch sheave cap as its for the long clutch spring, the vmax one is for the short spring.

Back