SX vs SRX

BroncoDave

I need the advice of you TY people. I've been a Yamaha 2-stroke MC devotee for a long time ('84-'85 RZ-350's particularly), but a Polaris guy on snow for reasons that seemed rather obvious until about 1997. I twisted the crank in my old Polaris on Monday, and having long desired a 2-stroke triple I'm looking at the SX and SRX. Polaris bailed early on triples so when I compare a '97 or '98 Polaris Ultra to the 700 SX or SRX, well the Ultra pales in comparison. The question is, which one do I want? The SX or SRX? That's where I hope you can educate me in all things Yamaha 2-stroke triple.

I do most of my riding in Michigan's UP; primarily trail riding but I love to play in the powder when I can and don't want to have to avoid jumps for fear of breaking something.

As for the motor, I want some serious grunt coming out of slow corners. Obviously the top end isn't likely to be a problem, but I'm concerned about throttle response and low-speed grunt. I assume the sound will be sublime - I can't wait.

When it comes to suspension, I want it to go where it's pointed even at high speed - slot car style - so these 15" travel Sno X suspensions really aren't my cup of tea, but like everyone else I also want to be able to ride when the groomers are broken.

So, which sled has the best throttle response and low end grunt - SX or SRX? Which sled handles the best? Which sled is the best mogul eliminator? Are there years to avoid or particular years that are best? Based on looks I think I like the 1999 and 2000 models the best. What are the common failure modes to look for? When do the bottom and top ends go south (and which one goes first?). Are there certain options that are considered must have that I should hold out for?

Basically I'm looking for a buyer's guide to Yamaha 2-stroke triples. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated and applied to the impending purchase of my next sled.

Thanks for taking time to give me your input!

Best SRX is 2000 and up and the better SX-R will be the 01 and up. SRX will give you power that will make your heart pound....they have some great pull, the sx when set up right has a very sneaky fast feel but the better choice for moguls. If you really want the best of both worlds, get a 2000 or new SRX and long travel the rear....thats my thoughts.

ya in my experience it's easier to make an SRX light and ride nice than it is to make an SXR reliably powerfull.

that said I've seen AAEN pipes run VERY reliably on the 698 monohead mill

What parts do you have to buy to long-travel the SRX rear? I noticed that Maxximum Perf has a $350 shock upgrade for the rear (and another $350 upgrade for the fronts) that is supposed to long travel the rear of the SRX - does this bring the suspension up to SX-R standards or are there other necessary parts as well? Is their a cheaper way to long-travel the rear? I think that the SRX is the only thing that will keep me happy long term and I'd like to see what it takes (both parts and $$ wise) to upgrade the suspension to SX-R levels should I decide that it's necessary.

Thanks to all for the great info!

The Max Kit for the back is really all you need.....you can do the front to, it will just raise the center of gravity....still handle fairly well...but at least do the rear 1st.

Rear: longer center shock, longer rear shock, different transfer rod spacers and longer limiter straps.

lasT thing, put a 1,25 track under the SRX!!! Its a major upgrade!! Don'T think you will be able to jump with the srx without a suspension uprage like others guys here are talking!!! THe SX got the better suspension but he his less powerfull!!!

Back