More idlers on a srx?

Twisted srx

So I bought a "ready to go" 01 srx.... far from ready to go, I've been working out the issues, power valves, rubbed thru wiring and worn out suspension rails, when I first rode the sled I could tell something wasn't right seemed to slow down way to quickly without using the brakes....
Hyfax wear at the bend in the rails was extreme, went through a new set of hyfax in 150 miles, I replaced the rails because where the by fax attached the aluminum was very worn at the bend in the rail. Bought a marginal snow wheel kit and also put on the larger polaris idlers, my question is can more idlers be added in the center of the skid? Seems like a design flaw not having any idlers in the center until you get to the rear of the skid? Has anyone used the marginal wheel kit in the center? Also my track is studded in the middle only and jot on the outside so there is more pressure on the center from the studs?

Studs can put more pressure on the center. after the 150 were they completely shot? or just worn way down? Sometimes they wear way down for the first couple hundred miles then they seem to stop wearing. Yamaha idlers are kinda small which puts more pressure on the slides, I've heard of some guys using polaris idlers because they are just a little bigger which takes pressure off of the slides.

Studs can put more pressure on the center. after the 150 were they completely shot? or just worn way down? Sometimes they wear way down for the first couple hundred miles then they seem to stop wearing. Yamaha idlers are kinda small which puts more pressure on the slides, I've heard of some guys using polaris idlers because they are just a little bigger which takes pressure off of the slides.

X2 on this. The hyfax wear really fast for a while and then they will stop wearing. I was there at one point. I was really nervous before a trip because they looked pretty thin. Put 600 miles on them that year. Then my cousin put the rails on his and left the same hyfax on and put another 500 miles on them last year. If the track is too tight it will make them wear faster especially in the front. It was the same with my mono shock suspension. They wore really bad for the first 100-200 miles and then they quit wearing. I think a lot of people get nervous when they look like they are wearing out so they change them too soon. The bigger idlers will definitely help.

Indeed, I did change the front 4 idlers to the larger polaris wheels, they were completely shot at then bend, down to aluminum, also I believe my skid has viper limiter straps because they seem way to long but with adjusters all the way tight they seem to work... maybe not though? Just seems like it would be beneficial to put some idlers up front on the inside about the same location as the wheels that are on the outside. Thought about putting the marginal snow kit in the center up front but unsure whether they will hold up in that location seeing as there is more pressure from the studs in the center of the track

You might want to check the length of the rear shock. It might have a suspension from a viper under it. I ran into that with mine. I had no idea it was a viper suspension until I pulled the suspension from my viper and noticed they were the same. I cant remember what the length is but someone will know. I think the viper shock was 18 1/2" center to center and the srx was 1" to 1 1/2" shorter.

Last edited:
Everything apesrs correct for a srx skid I didn't measure the rear shock but I did measure the front, I have a viper skid im using for parts and compared to that skid the front shock is shorter by 1 inch or so

Back