Wow, what luck I have

RyanC1009

So while getting sled (01 SRX) for riding and I pulled it in to top off all the fluids, as I was filling the oil injection tank, some of the foil from the Yamalube seal went right down into the tank! So I thought I could just pull the tank out and drain it, lol. After much problem solving I'm leading to believe that removing the tank is a impossible, so I purchase a small shop vac with micro tool attachments and proceed to empty the oil that way. I can't believe how much oil that things hold! Well have sucked out about 95% of the oil and still no foil yet, so I'm turning the sled on the side and going to continue to work on it. Unless someone here has a much better idea. Great forum and this is the first sled in 10 years!

Try taking the seat off and loosen the fuel tank and sliding it back a little. That should give enough room to get the oil tank out. Not sure since I haven't tried it but I don't see why that wont work. If you are not familiar with taking the seat off it is just two 12mm nuts in the rear compartment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone, removing seat helped a lot and then just had to make my way through the air box and everything else in the way.

The tank should come right off once the airbox is out of the way,and the 2 bolts are removed.I think you'll find the piece of foil stuck to the side of the tank somewhere if it hasn't come out yet.

Don't take my advice if it will come out without moving fuel tank back. I could have sworn I tried to take mine out and couldn't get it out from behind the steering column but it is possible that was a different project. Slept a couple times since then. lol

Your right Drew I jumped the gun on my advise.The seat has to come off and the tank unfastened and slid back to allow the oil tank the access needed to remove it.It's been so long ago that I've had mine off I couldn't remember if it come off past the steering post without moving the gas tank back or not.

Back