Power Valve Screws Stripped

merc9193

I have 3 screws on 2 PV's that the allen is stripped. Any tricks to getting these out? not sure if the previous owner or Yamaha put thread lock on them. The PV I got out was very carboned up not sure they have ever been cleaned in 4500 miles. The other ones were very had to beak loose and had a white powder on the bolt. should I put anti-seize on the screws?

Sometimes you can get a standard allen forced in when they are stripped. The impact drivers you hit with a hammer would work well if you could get a little bigger allen in it. They probably have corrosion from the aluminum on them.

alright i am gonna get stupid. but just maybe. get a dremel with a small cut stone. see if you can cut a deep skinny slot enough to maybe a screw, than get a big screwdriver on them. another words, can ya make them a screw. just a shot. 3:16x (yammie tony)

vise grips, if not slot the head with a hacksaw blade or dermal and take an impact drive (not gun) if you have one.

I would try the slot method. Get some penetrating oil in there also and consider a little heat. A "little" heat.

Not sure why I'm giving advice. Right now, I'm locked out of my snowmobile trailer due to two locks that aren't cooperating. It just seems wrong....:o|

a nice sharp cold chisel, lay it back at a good angle and quickly strike the edge of the head of the bolt it will jolt it loose and you can get them out.(Dont need a big hammer just a quick strike and the chisel needs to be laid back , your not trying to cut it off just spin the bolt head in the loose direction.) they get tight from putting steel against aluminum overtime it creates a galvanic bond. Put new bolts in and spray with some good antiseize or good oil like kroil also works well.

Great Ideas, of course 2 are on the bottom hard to reach. I should get the replacements on Tuesday. So I will try those tricks. I cleaned the one and put it back together supposed to get snow this weekend. so I can finally try them out after I've been doing all the maintinence

try lightly tapping the next size up allen into it and see if it will grab if not its time to bust out the needle nose vise grips

Back