Mice enlarged some airbox holes

destey

Got a 1999 SRX 700, mice ate through the airbox holes at the bottom, I assume they are water drain holes. They're about as big now for a small mouse to fit through. I got all the debris out of there, had to take the carbs and reeds out as it was a mess. I was thinking of putting something to reduce the hole size (like a grommet), but I was afraid of it getting sucked into the motor. Should I be concerned about the additional air flow or sucking in leaves or whatever? Maybe just go to those k and n style filters (would I have to re jet?)?

Yes you would have to re-jet (5 sizes or so), you would also notice the sled would much louder without any sound suppression like the stock air box has. You could patch it with larger pieces of plastic, silicone and bolt it over the holes but I think I would be looking for a new air box

take a piece of tin or other sheet metal, put some gasket maker on it and rivet in place over the holes. drill new drain holes and your good as new.

I have an air box from a 99. It is just the shell. No carb boots or shelf. You can have it if you want to pay shipping.

You could always JB weld it. They make a plastic JB weld but the regular Kwik JB well would work fine also. You could use some tin foil to to act as a backer on one side while you put the JB weld in from other. Let it dry, then re-drill.

Back