00SRX Flickering Lights

onewickedr1

Got sled out last Saturday and sunday and the is running like a beast. Had to remove aftermarket air filter b/c was killing motor at higher RPM's... TBD. Everything is fresh and new as of two years ago so motor is good. But after riding the lights started to flicker and then the tac, then I lost the gas gauge (gauge is new too). Year one of the sled I fixed and re-routed all lines above the engine so there would be no more harness issues. Even fixed above left footwell and insulated. Where should I be looking for a short or is it the dreaded Stator? Again the motor ran fine and I don't recall it even losing power. Thanks.

wire harness short, most likely the harness that runs up to the hood. I would wiggle that harness with it running. when you say the gas guage and light flicker that's the harness about everytime. I would pull apart and see where the chaff is, 1 wire is touching another somewhere or arcing to ground. Also if you change the headlight beam from high to low does it make the tach jump or work for a second? the regulator is located under the cowl panel part with vents by your knees where recoil rope handle is, cdi is also behind there, although I doubt its regulator at least from your symptoms list.

I just had to fix my harness last night. Just bought the sled a few days ago. I had no gauge lights, no tach, no gas gauge, no brake lights. When you took it off high beam it acted like it wanted to die and there was no low beam. After fixing it i have gauge lights, tach, and high and low beam lights now. Still no brake light or gas gauge tho. Gotta figure that put still.
20161215_215348.jpg
Heres what my harness looked like. It was a mess. But i wrapped it all up nice like with heat shrink, electrical tape, wire loom then electrical tape over the loom. Hopefully wont have a problem again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

this is a long shot, but take that load control relay out and put it on a vent over night. i once left my sled in the trailer and we had a few freeze thaw cycles. then when i took it out there was a cold snap. the lights would start flickering and every once and a while the tac would drop. then when i started working it hard in the power it would come back to life, get back on the lake in the wind or shut it off and back on, the problem would come back. only fixed it after i put the relays on the wood stove in the ice hut for a few hours... i know those symptoms of mine should not be due to a relay.... but stranger things have happened.

if that does not work, i would look where the harness to the hood bends at the hinges. once chased an electrical problem because my temp light wouldn't flash 3 times upon start up. took me a good few days with the multi meter until i gave all the wires in the harness a good tug, and one pulled out. broke right where the harness bends.

Last edited:

Back