97 600 TWIN ignition trouble ????

kartman

Son has a 97 600 xtc. Stator died on it last year and it was replaced. Ran fine and then would intermittently backfire bad enough to blow off the exhaust. Was told to clean the carbs and did that last year with no success. Parked it and now im working on it again. Cleaned the carbs again and it fire on first pull. Runs like a top fuel dragster throwing flame out the exhaust. It pops and backfires constantly now. Could someone point me in the next item to try ? bad stator ? bad ignition box ? Please help so i dont have to let him ride my backup warrior again this winter !!!!

carbs cleaned again, wiring harness checked for bad spots/re taped and put in loom, pulled flywheel and no sheared key, put back together and same thing.... backfires like a topfuel dragster...... bad stator ? bad cdi box ??? im at a loss.....

Did this start happening right after the stator was changed? Could be something with the pickup coil.

If it started right after the stator replacement, it may be a timing issue with the spark ?
Correct me if Im wrong, but there is also a pickup coil in there that controls when the spark is suppose to happen
based off of crankshaft position. If that got moved, then it could be firing the spark late, farther on the downstroke of the piston
causing the popping?

Just a thought, maybe someone else can chime in on this, as I have only seen one apart on a Ski doo....

after replacing the stator everything was fine for about 50 miles then it started doing it intermittently and has progressed to what it is now.

There is a good chance the pickup coil is junk. It is a known problem with aftermarket stators. Maybe try to find a good used oem stator and try it. Also are the magnets on the flywheel good and clean?

Back